• Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Multiple personalty in the Swedish way

Dear people.
    Please, would you proofread my text:

I grew up with the people who usually behave in the same way no matter the circumstances. People in my homeland use to drink often and very much, but still the majority of them do not lose common sense. Those who behaved badly would always risk to be seen as immature or be mocked at. In a country were alcohol is cheap and in abundance, one is expected to behave responsibly. My father and I made our own plum brandy called Slivovitz every year and I saw my father drink many times with our relatives and friends and he never lost his composure. People in my country usually always eat something while drinking; cheese, meat or sausages. When some of our relatives visited us, there was always plenty of food at the table and they would drink and discuss for hours and at the end they would get in bed to sleep.

During those years not a single glass was broken, neither could one hear anyone shouting or quarrelling. Sometimes, they would sing old Bosnian songs about love and yearning. And that repeated year after year until the war broke out and made us all refugees. Of course, there are madmen in my homeland who become more violent when their blood is blended with alcohol, but such cases are rare and people condemn them immediately.
    Even if you met people from my country abroad they would behave just as if they were in their homeland. Bosnians in the USA, Spain or India behave the same way they did in their homeland.

No matter who they are; cleaners, plumbers or university professors or where they live, in front of them one can always see not only bottles but plates with food, at least some cheese. It is because they want to drink not to be drunk but to enjoy the evening together with their friends in a relaxed atmosphere.
    However, it was first when I came to Sweden that I understood that there are whole nations who uses alcohol as a drug and which tolerate almost all kind of stupidities when one is drunk.

I remember my first stroll through the streets of Stockholm one Saturday evening with my fellow country men. I saw people vomiting on the streets, crying, shouting, some of them staggered with their trousers spoilt by their own excrement and urine, the other crawled on the ground talking gibberish I could not understand. Young, beautiful Swedish girls with long blonde, wavy hair were lying on the asphalt with a can of beer or a bottle of vodka in their hands, they did not give any sign of life. Police cars shuttled the streets, their sirens pierced my ears. "My Lord," I said for myself, "I have left a hell of war to come to a hell of Sweden!"

Later, I met a Bosnian waitress who had worked here for years and she told me that sometimes it had happened that a Swedish woman left the pub in the company of a man and the next day came back just to ask her if she remembered the man who was in her company because she was so drunk that she herself remembered nothing!
    It is interesting to observe the people who usually do not show any feelings transforming into strange creatures for a few hours only to return to their "true" personality on Monday morning. On Friday or Saturday evening one can see for example a social worker or a civil servant dancing wildly, kissing passers-by having sex in pub toilet or losing one of his shoes only to see him on Monday working hard and silently, not uttering one single word.

Swedes seldom go out on a working day, almost never drink wine to a lunch and suddenly on Friday evening their explode trying to compensate for everything they have missed in the past five days. It happens that an immigrant eat lunch with his Swedish colleagues and he orders a glass of wine. He would hardly sip it before everyone gazed at him in a shock. "How could a person drink wine on an ordinary working day?" they would ask themselves.
    But the problem with the Swedes is that the majority of them do exactly what their government is demanding from them. The government never need to use force or methods of coercion. The crowd do what they are ordered and they seldom complain because the Swedes instead of complaining keep everything inside and save it for an psychologist who will recommend to them a new antidepressant which will made them happy again.
    One of the reasons why the Swedes are one of the nations which travel the most in the world is that many of them want to flee from the uniformity and greyness of their existence where they have to keep a mask almost twenty four hours a day. First when they are abroad, the Swedes dare to behave like all other human beings, although, sometimes, they go to extremes. But, we must understand them, they are like children who had been locked for months and did not play outside. Once, when they come out they are so overjoyed that they jump and shout around as much as they can knowing that soon they will be locked out again.

So, if you see a Swede abroad you have to know that you have seen only one of his personalities. You should follow him or her back to Sweden to see the other one. I have heard people from other countries telling their stories about their Swedish partners. When they met them in their homeland, the majority of the Swedes were very open and behaved as all others but when they decided to move to Sweden they could not recognised their own wives and husbands because the Swedes were back again in the uniformity from which they had originated and they turned into silent, shy and obedient subjects without their own will.
    My advice to anyone who marries a Swede is to stay in your homeland and never move to Sweden , otherwise you could risk to see a personality of your love which is less beautiful. Don't spoil your dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Multiple personality the Swedish way

I grew up with people who usually behaved in the same way no matter what the circumstances. People in my homeland would drink much and often, but still the majority of them did not lose their common sense. Those who behaved badly would risk being seen as immature and be mocked. In a country where alcohol is cheap and in abundance/plentiful, one is expected to behave responsibly. My father and I made our own plum brandy called Slivovitz every year, and I saw my father drink many times with our friends and relatives though he never lost his composure. People in my country usually always eat something while drinking/always accompany their drinking with food; cheese, meat or sausages. When any of our relatives visited there was always plenty of food at the table and they would drink and discuss things for hours on end and at the end they would go to bed and sleep it off.

During those years not a single glass was broken, neither did one hear anyone shouting or quarrelling. Sometimes, they would sing old Bosnian songs about love and yearning. And that/and these scenes were repeated year after year until the war broke out and made us all refugees. Of course, there are madmen in my homeland who become violent when their blood is blended with alcohol, but such cases are rare and people immediately condemn/censure them. Even if you met people from my country abroad they behaved just as if they were in their homeland/just as they would if they were at home. Bosnians in the USA, Spain or India behave inmuch the same way as they would in their homeland.

No matter who they are; cleaners, plumbers or university professors, or wherever they may live, in front of them one can always see not only bottles but plates with food, at least some cheese. It is because they want to drink and not be drunk, but to enjoy the evening with their friends in a relaxed atmosphere. However, it was when I first came to Sweden that I understood that there are whole nations who use alcohol as a drug and which tolerate all kinds of stupidities when one is drunk.

I remember my first stroll through the streets of Stockholm one Saturday evening, with my fellow countrymen. I saw people vomiting on the streets, crying, shouting, some of them staggering about with their trousers spoilt by their own excrement and urine; others crawled on the ground talking gibberish. Young, beautiful Swedish girls, with long blonde wavy hair, were lying on the asphalt with a can of beer or a bottle of vodka in their hands; they did not give any sign of life/they gave no signs of life/appearing lifeless. Police cars shuttled/roamed/travelled the streets, their sirens pierced/piercing my ears. "My Lord," I said to myself, "I have left a hell of war to come to a hell of Sweden!"

Later, I met a Bosnian waitress who had worked here in Sweden for years and she told me that sometimes it happened that a Swedish woman left the pub in the company of a man, and the next day came back just to ask her if she remembered the man who had accompanied her because she was so drunk that she herself remembered nothing!

How interesting it is to observe people who usually do not show their feelings, transformed into strange creatures for a few hours, only to return to their "true" personality on Monday morning. On Friday or Saturday evening one can see for example a social worker or a civil servant dancing wildly, kissing passers-by, having sex in the public toilets or losing one of his shoes only to see him again on Monday working hard and silently, not uttering a single word.

Swedes seldom go out on a working day, will almost never drink wine with lunch and then suddenly on Friday evening they explode, trying to compensate for everything they have missed out on during the past five days. It happens that an immigrant will eat lunch with his Swedish colleagues and he orders a glass of wine. He would hardly sip it before everyone gazed at him in a shock. "How could a person drink wine on an ordinary working day?" they would ask themselves.

However the problem with the Swedes is that the majority of them do exactly what their government is demanding from them/demands of them. Their government never needs to use force or methods of coercion. The crowd do what they are ordered to do and they seldom complain, because the Swedes instead of complaining keep everything inside and save it for the psychologist who will recommend to them a new antidepressant which will made them feel happy again.
    Maybe one of the reasons why the Swedes are a people who travel the most widely in the world is that many of them want to flee from the uniformity and greyness of their existence, where they have to keep a mask on for twenty four hours a day. Firstly, when they are abroad, the Swedes dare to behave like any other human being although, sometimes, they do go to extremes. Nevertheless, we must understand them, they are like children who have been locked away for months and did not get to play outside. Once they are free they are so overjoyed that they jump and shout as much as they can knowing that soon they will be locked up again.

So, if you should see a Swede abroad you have to know that you have seen only one side of his personality. You should follow him or her back to Sweden to see the other side. I have heard people from other countries telling stories about their Swedish partners. When they first met them in their homeland, the majority of the Swedes were very open and behaved as all others but when they decided to move to Sweden they could not recognise their own wives and husbands because the Swedes were back again in the uniformity from which they had originated and had turned into silent, shy and obedient subjects without their own will/without a will of their own.

My advice to anyone who marries a Swede is to stay in your own homeland; never move to Sweden, otherwise you risk seeing the personality of your loved one change irrevocably. Don't spoil your dreams!

Last edited by Svaneska; 19-Apr-2008 at 20:37.

Bassim is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Multiple personalty in the Swedish way

Sweetie
    Let me tell you thank you once more. You have really helped me so much!
    I hope that you feel well and have a nice day!

beascarpetta is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I grew up with people who usually behave the same no matter what the circumstances.
    People in my country enjoy drinking, but still the majority of them does not go overboard. Those who do risk being regarded as immature or being mocked at. In a country where alcohol is cheap and in abundance to be had, one is expected to behave accordingly.
    Every year my father and I made our own plum brandy called Slivovitz and I saw my father drink with our relatives and our friends quite often and he never once lost his composure.

People in my country usually have something to eat while drinking; a bit of cheese,some cold meat or sausages. Whenever relatives visited us, there was plenty of food on the table and they would drink while having discussions for hours on end and then they would get into bed and go to sleep.

During all of those years not one single glass was broken, nor could one hear people shouting or quarreling.
    Sometimes, they would sing old Bosnian songs about love and yearning.
    And that went on for years until war broke out and made us all refugees.

Of course, there are madmen in my country who become more violent when their blood is blended with alcohol, but such cases are rare and people condemn them immediately.

Even if you meet people from my country abroad, they will behave just as if they were back in Bosnia . Bosnians in the USA, Spain or India behave the same way they did back in their old country.

No matter, what their profession is,whether they cleaners, plumbers or university professors or where they live, if the are enjoying a drink one always see not only bottles but also plates with food, at least some cheese, in front of them.

It's a drink,an evening together with their friends in a relaxed atmosphere they enjoy,not getting drunk.

However, when I first came to Sweden I realized that there are whole nations that use alcohol as a drug and tolerate almost all kind of abuse when drunk.

I vividly remember my first stroll through the streets of Stockholm one Saturday evening with my fellow country men. I saw people vomiting on the streets, crying, shouting, some of them staggering with their trousers soiled by their own excrement, others crawling on the ground talking gibberish I could not understand.

Young, beautiful Swedish girls with long, blond, wavy hair were lying on the asphalt in a drunken stupor,with cans of beer or bottles of vodka in their hands.

Police cars shuttled the streets, their sirens piercing my ears. "My Lord," I said for myself, "I left hell at home for another kind of hell in Sweden!"

Later, I met a Bosnian waitress, who had already worked in Sweden for some years and she told me that sometimes at night a Swedish woman left the pub in the company of a man only to return the next day to ask her if she remembered the man with whom she had left because she had been too drunk to remember!

It is interesting to observe people usually devoid of any emotion transform into strange creatures for a few hours only to return to their "true" self on Monday morning.
    On Friday or Saturday evening one can see a social worker or a civil servant, for example, dancing wildly, kissing passers-by, having sex in public toilets or losing one of their shoes only to see him or her again on Monday working hard, not uttering one single word.

Swedes seldom go out during the week, almost never have wine with their meals but suddenly, on Friday evenings, they seem to explode, trying to compensate for everything they have missed during the past five days.

Occasionally an immigrant when having lunch with his Swedish colleagues might order a glass of wine, only to have everyone stare at him before he has even had a sip. "How can anyone drink wine on an ordinary working day?" they seem to ask themselves.
    But the problem with the Swedes is that the majority of them does exactly what their government asks them to.Their government never has to use force or any other methods of coercion.
    The crowds do what they are ordered to and they seldom complain because Swedes, instead of complaining, keep everything bottled up inside and save it all for a psychologist to analyze,who will also treat them to a new antidepressant which will made them happy again.
    One of the reasons why Swedes are among the nations that travel the most is that many of them want to flee from the bleak uniformity of their existence where they have to wear a mask almost twenty-four hours a day.
    Only when they go abroad, Swedes dare to behave like ordinary human beings, although, sometimes, they go to extremes.

But we have to keep in mind that they are like children who have been locked inside for months and were not allowed to play outside.
    Once they are allowed out, they are so overjoyed that they jump and shout around as much as they can, knowing that soon they will be locked in again.

So, if you meet a Swede abroad you should be aware of the fact that you are shown only one of his personalities. You should follow him or her back to Sweden to see the other one.
    I heard people from other countries tell quite amazing stories about their Swedish partners. When they had first met them as visitors to their own countries, most Swedes were very open and outgoing, but once they decided to move to Sweden to settle down they were hard put to recognize their own wives and husbands, because the Swedes were back to their grey uniformity of silence, from which they had originated and they once again turned into taciturn, shy and obedient subjects devoid of a will of their own.
    My advice to anyone who plans to marry a Swede is to stay put in his country and not move to Sweden, because otherwise he will risk being faced with a side of his love's personality he could have well done without.
    Do not mar your dreams!

I simply couldn't resist.
    Again, I just hope you don't mind my "lingustic interference"
    take care,
    bea

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just wondering whether you write these pieces as a kind of therapy or as contributions to a literary journal.
    Knowing about their purpose would probably keep me from changing your texts unnecessarily
    Last edited by beascarpetta; 19-Apr-2008 at 18:55.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Bea

Every suggestions are always welcome! What is important for me is to get that subtle feeling for English which I still do not have. However, there is no other way but writing and learning of my own mistakes.
    I know I am on the right way, so thank you to all of you who illuminate that way and help me not to get lost!

Bassim

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Rest assured , you are getting there.
    It took me the better part of an hour to find these very few mistakes in your text ,and I tried to be extra careful(being a teacher ) to find them.
    We'll be there if you should ever get lost.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Bea
    I am writing these text as a kind of exercises in style and the English language. But one day I hope I will leave some books behind me because it is important that someone tell people about the things they do not see on the surface.
    You see, I have no children and no family around me here, but I am going to make my poems and my texts my own children.
    And believe, me every morning I pray to God not for money or some other things, but for a few books and after that I could die in peace.
    When one feels powerless there is only one way out and it is to try to write and use one's brain and mental energies to fight back.
    I do not know if I will ever succeeded , but at least I have a dream!

Bassim
    Last edited by Bassim; 19-Apr-2008 at 19:27.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post

I grew up with the people who usually behave in the same way no matter the circumstances. People in my homeland use to drink often and very much, but still the majority of them do not lose common sense. Those who behaved badly would always risk to be seen as immature or be mocked at. In a country were alcohol is cheap and in abundance, one is expected to behave responsibly.
    I grew up with people who usually behaved in the same way no matter the circumstances. People in my homeland would drink much and often, but the majority of them did not lose their common sense. Those who behaved badly would risk being seen as immature and be mocked. In a country were alcohol is cheap and ubiquitous, one is expected to behave responsibly.

My father and I made our own plum brandy called Slivovitz every year and I saw my father drink many times with our relatives and friends and he never lost his composure. People in my country usually always eat something while drinking; cheese, meat or sausages. When some of our relatives visited us, there was always plenty of food at the table and they would drink and discuss for hours and at the end they would get in bed to sleep.
    My father and I made our own plum brandy called Slivovitz every year, and I saw my father drink many times with our relatives and friends, and he never lost his composure. People in my country always eat something when drinking: cheese, meat or sausages. When some of our relatives visited us, there was always plenty of food on the table and they would eat and drink for hours and then they would sleep.

Bosnians in the USA, Spain or India behave the same way they did in their homeland.
    Bosnians in the USA, Spain or India behave much as they would in their homeland.
    No matter who they are; cleaners, plumbers or university professors or where they live, in front of them one can always see not only bottles but plates with food, at least some cheese. It is because they want to drink not to be drunk but to enjoy the evening together with their friends in a relaxed atmosphere.
    However, it was first when I came to Sweden that I understood that there are whole nations who uses alcohol as a drug and which tolerate almost all kind of stupidities when one is drunk.

No matter who they are or where they live, in front of them one can always see not only bottles but plates offood with at least some cheese. That is because they want to drink and not be drunk, but to enjoy the evening with their friends in a relaxed atmosphere. However, when I came to Sweden that I discovered that there are entire nations that use alcohol as a drug and which tolerate all kind of stupidities from those who are drunk.

I remember my first stroll through the streets of Stockholm one Saturday evening with my fellow country men. I saw people vomiting on the streets, crying, shouting, some of them staggered with their trousers spoilt by their own excrement and urine, the other crawled on the ground talking gibberish I could not understand. Young, beautiful Swedish girls with long blonde, wavy hair were lying on the asphalt with a can of beer or a bottle of vodka in their hands, they did not give any sign of life. Police cars shuttled the streets, their sirens pierced my ears. "My Lord," I said for myself, "I have left a hell of war to come to a hell of Sweden!"
    I remember my first stroll through the streets of Stockholm one Saturday evening with my fellow countrymen. I saw people vomiting in the streets, crying and shouting. Some of them staggered along with their trousers spoilt by their own excrement and urine. Others crawled on the ground talking gibberish. Young, beautiful Swedish girls with long blonde hair could be seen lying on the asphalt holding onto a can of beer or a bottle of vodka. Police cars moved through the streets, their sirens piercing my ears. "My Lord," I said to myself, "I have left the hell of war to come to the hell that is Sweden!"

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

RonBee

Thank you very much for your contribution. I really learn very much from all of you. It is also interesting to see how different people and different personalities interpret the same text. However, it is this spiritual richness of us human beings which make this planet such a special place in the Universe

Have a nice day RonBee!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast