daffy is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Online teaching for a beginner

Hello! I am scheduled to have my 2nd interview this week for a home based online teaching job and I really want to get this job . I am tasked to do a one hour, free-reign teaching demo to an Arab student to check her level of proficiency in the English language. I was told that I can discuss anything during that time except for those sensitive topics that might elicit disagreements. My future employer will also use that time to check my capabilities and my teaching style. Except for my bachelor's degree in Communications, I have very little teaching experience. Any suggestions how I can successfully bag this job?

Thank you!

RedMtl is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Online teaching for a beginner

Quote Originally Posted by daffy View Post
    Hello! I am scheduled to have my 2nd interview this week for a home based online teaching job and I really want to get this job . I am tasked to do a one hour, free-reign teaching demo to an Arab student to check her level of proficiency in the English language. I was told that I can discuss anything during that time except for those sensitive topics that might elicit disagreements. My future employer will also use that time to check my capabilities and my teaching style. Except for my bachelor's degree in Communications, I have very little teaching experience. Any suggestions how I can successfully bag this job?

Thank you!
    If your own English is good enough to use expressions like "bag this job" then I don't think you'll need to worry about how your handling of the language is viewed.

As for asking questions to elicit responses, you should try for conversations where many tenses are required. Ask for a hypothetical story, for example. This would require terms like "if I were" "then I could" and the like.

You could start with: "What will you do tomorrow?"

Potential answer: "I will go walking."

Question: "And, if the weather is bad, would you still go walking?"

Now, you want an answer such as: "If the weather is poor, I could still go walking. In this case, I would have to take along an umbrella. However, if the weather turned nice, I could close the umbrella. Then I would have gone walking on a rainy day which changed to being nice."

I don't know what level you have to check for, but using conditional and passive usually indicate a good grasp of any language.

Just a few thoughts! Good luck!!