Thread: Getting Started

AntieAnnie Guest

Default Getting Started

Hi,
    I am 40 years old and have a career in Corporate America. I am interested in learning about teaching English as a Second Language, and i have no idea how to start. I apologize if this issue has been addressed elsewhere on the site, and I appreciate any help to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

atenea is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default re: getting started

Hello.
    Try to hear a lot of music in English and to meet friends whose native language is English, so you can make yourself familiar with one of the most important issues of English learning: the pronunciation.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Getting Started

Thank you for your reply. Actually, I am a native English speaker who would like to learn what is necessary to begin a career teaching English to others.

qasserras is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default its good to learn English

Hello friend,
    I am a teacher of English language.
    I believe that starting at the first time to learn any language is very hard.
    But it becomes a very easy process when you follow sime steps.
    My advice to u is to find sb who can help at first to stand at ur feet. I mean u need sb who can help u learn english just for the beginning.
    Next u should read some stories that are very short and easy. Besides, u have to listen to english songs using the lyrics. These are the first stepes u have to start with. Good luck!

banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: its good to learn English

Quote Originally Posted by qasserras View Post
    Next u should read some stories that are very short and easy. Besides, u have to listen to english songs using the lyrics. These are the first stepes u have to start with. Good luck!
    Why do you think that reading short stories and listening to songs will help her start a teaching career?
    Last edited by banderas; 31-Jul-2008 at 21:26.

Clark is offline Key Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AntieAnnie View Post
    Thank you for your reply. Actually, I am a native English speaker who would like to learn what is necessary to begin a career teaching English to others.
    I think the first step is to apply for a TESL job. I'm sure as a native speaker you have every chance to find such a job in a non-English country. As for textbooks, methods, teaching materials, etc., you will work it all out when you find a job.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AntieAnnie View Post
    Hi,
    I am 40 years old and have a career in Corporate America. I am interested in learning about teaching English as a Second Language, and i have no idea how to start. I apologize if this issue has been addressed elsewhere on the site, and I appreciate any help to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
    Have you researched locally run courses in this that you could take? Here is one site that you could look into: TESOL Courses - TESOL Certification

I would say that getting a qualification that is recognised is the first step.

blondaranouna is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

hi please i need help to learing english .how i can staret

ICAL_Pete is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are new to teaching then you should consider getting some professional training and possibly becoming TESL/TEFL certified.

Being certified will make you more marketable but, perhaps more importantly, it will prepare you for the job. Quality online TESL/TEFL courses offer a great training opportunity at entry level. They can provide a thorough grounding in a new career and the right tools to approach a new profession.

Learning which are the most effective teaching techniques, how to maximize classroom time, how to make your lessons useful yet fun, how to target your lesson towards a particular learning group, etc. it is all going to help you become a better teacher. Of course, reading a few books will help, but being trained by an experienced and qualified tutor that can walk you through it can only be a good thing.