1. Anonymous

That security cameras should be removed from public places

i believe that people are not affected by cameras in public places. what about the petrol station cameras? people are not bothered by them . People like me.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: That security cameras should be removed from public plac

Quote Originally Posted by Noj Pn
    i believe that people are not affected by cameras in public places. what about the petrol station cameras? people are not bothered by them . People like me.
    Not too long ago, in the USA, a child was abducted on her way home from a friend's house, and later murdered. The man who murdered her was shortly caught and jailed, thanks to an eyewitness: a gas station camera. 8)

• Post Thanks / Like
    Not too long ago, in the USA, a man was accosted on his way home from a friend's house, and later mugged. The man who accosted him was shortly shot dead, thanks to a wallet saver: a 9mm handgun.

FRC

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like
    As long as there are strict controls over the cameras and the use of film taken, they don't bother me. When CCTV footage gets onto TV, then I start getting worried. When CCTV helps the police or protects people, then I am allin favour of it.

• Post Thanks / Like
    The whole problem is that you don't know who will have access to the tapes and what they will do with them.

FRC

• Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    Not too long ago, in the USA, a man was accosted on his way home from a friend's house, and later mugged. The man who accosted him was shortly shot dead, thanks to a wallet saver: a 9mm handgun.

FRC
    Neither amusing nor of interest. :(

• Post Thanks / Like
    One can always come up with a story showing that X or Y has been a good thing in a precise context. This cannot lead to any logical conclusion per se, and doesn't really address the problem. I mean, every pro-X and pro-Y has a story to tell. Sorry for the send-up, I didn't mean to bother you.

FRC

• Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    One can always come up with a story showing that X or Y has been a good thing in a precise context. This cannot lead to any logical conclusion per se, and doesn't really address the problem. I mean, every pro-X and pro-Y has a story to tell. Sorry for the send-up, I didn't mean to bother you.

FRC
    Please re-read the original post (i.e., cameras in public places: for or against? Why?). :D

• Post Thanks / Like
    1) Can cameras be useful to prosecute people? Yes
    2) Can cameras infringe on personal privacy? Yes
    So the question is about the implications of 1) and 2), and can both be gained or preserved to an acceptable level. That's what Tdol dealt with, I think. I didn't mean that your example was pointless or whatever, just that 2) must be taken into account to get the full picture.

FRC