Thread: doughnuts

• Post Thanks / Like

doughnuts

Hi everyone. I am new at using any type of forum on the Internet. I am hoping that someone may be able to me with this.

Old fashion vs. old fashioned. Is there a difference (other than the obvious) and how should either of these be used?

Thanks.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: doughnuts

Quote Originally Posted by molive View Post
    Hi everyone. I am new at using any type of forum on the Internet. I am hoping that someone may be able to me with this.

Old fashion vs. old fashioned. Is there a difference (other than the obvious) and how should either of these be used?

Thanks.
    Old fashion means the way or attitude which is archaic.

But old-fashioned means run-down, archaic or ancient.

E.g.

I've got a new way of being successful in my job that is one of the old fashions to getting improvement!

I have an old-fashioned car, but very speedy!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by molive View Post

Old fashioned means outmoded or out of date; old hat; not in style. I don't know what old fashion means, and I recommend that you not use it.

• Post Thanks / Like

In terms of structure:

'Old-fashioned' is an adjunct in an attributive word-combination, e.g. old fashioned idea.

'Old fashion' (odd as it may seem) is an attributive word-combination: 'adjunct + kernel word'

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    In terms of structure:

'Old-fashioned' is an adjunct in an attributive word-combination, e.g. old fashioned idea.

'Old fashion' (odd as it may seem) is an attributive word-combination: 'adjunct + kernel word'
    Absolutely true!

Nevertheless, old fashion is not an adjective, but noun containing an adjective together with a noun (fashion) which runs a new combination of words meaning the same as 'old way'.

Cheers,
    P