Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The quick and the dead

    The quick and the dead, cease and desist, pros and cons, last but not least, etc., etc., is there a name for this kind of things?

  2. #2
    Natalie27 Guest

    Default Re: The quick and the dead

    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    The quick and the dead, cease and desist, pros and cons, last but not least, etc., etc., is there a name for this kind of things?
    pros and cons is an idiom as far as I know. Not too sure about the rest.

  3. #3
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The quick and the dead

    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    The quick and the dead, cease and desist, pros and cons, last but not least, etc., etc., is there a name for this kind of things?
    You could call them "and expressions" "and collocations" "and idioms"

    http://www.eli.ubc.ca/teachers/lesso...oms/index.html


    Everyday Idioms: Pairs of words joined with 'and' (Intermediate)

    http://www.eli.ubc.ca/teachers/lesso...ms/And_int.pdf

    Everyday Idioms: Pairs of words joined with 'and' (Advanced)

    http://www.eli.ubc.ca/teachers/lesso...ms/and_adv.pdf

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The quick and the dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie27

    pros and cons is an idiom as far as I know. Not too sure about the rest.
    the quick and the dead. the living and the dead.
    cease and desisit. stop
    last but not least. although it is the last one i am talking about, it is not the least important one.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The quick and the dead

    thanks, you gave me a trove of information. So you just call it "expression?" There is no special grammatical term except perhaps "collocation?"

  6. #6
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The quick and the dead

    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie27

    pros and cons is an idiom as far as I know. Not too sure about the rest.
    the quick and the dead. the living and the dead.
    cease and desisit. stop
    last but not least. although it is the last one i am talking about, it is not the least important one.
    Well, I guess I'd call it an expression. It's not exactly an idiom because the words can be taken literally.

    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...&dict=CALD

    Definition

    last but not least

    importantly, despite being mentioned after everyone else:

    I would like to thank my publisher, my editor and, last but not least, my husband.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The quick and the dead

    thanks again.

  8. #8
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The quick and the dead

    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    thanks, you gave me a trove of information. So you just call it "expression?" There is no special grammatical term except perhaps "collocation?"
    The University of British Columbia calls them "and idioms". I would just call them "expressions". There is no special grammatical term for this sort of thing that I know of.

    I would just as soon go with "collocation". I like that, "collocation".

  9. #9
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The quick and the dead

    Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    thanks again.
    :D 8)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk