sadness is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Edit my paragraph plz

hi everyone
    I'm new here
    I have written a paragraph about the importance of English
    and I need someone to edit my paragraph plz.
    Thank you friends

sadness

No one denies the importance of English language in the present time as global language. It is clear that the English language has become more dominant around the world. In some countries it use as the mother tongue and ,other countries learn it as second language in their schools. This is make English widespread. In addition, many reasons which contributed to rising of English spreading . for example, use it for communication between people around the world, as well as, it is language of modern times. On other hand , English is the language of science and technology.

There is no doubt that, the English is language of communication between the people with different cultures . It is also the language of computers that help to communicate with the people around the world through Internet technology and e-mail. People who know English can deal with the Internet, which is regard information and communications revolution .

Also one of reasons that contributed to the spread of English that, it is the language of the modern era. Where the people are use it in various field of life such as, economy, e-commerce, medicine and aviation. In addition ,it is the language which use in the tourism and travel. This reasons motive the people to learn English .

One of the main reasons why the English is dominant in the present time, use it in the field of education by universities and institutes and, they use it in scientific research . It has become an addendum to the mastery of scientific individual stock. On the other hand, the English is an important requirement in most government jobs and private.

It is quite clear that English has become an necessity today. We need it in different fields of life . The English language has become easier to learn more than ever before with the availability of many sources to help people learn very easily. Such as the Internet, books and educational institutes which spread around the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Edit my paragraph plz

No one denies the importance of the English language as currently a global language. It is clear that English has become (more-omit) dominant around the world. In some countries it is the mother tongue and other countries learn it as a second language in their schools.

This has made English widespread. (You said in your first sentence that English is global - so omit this repetition.)

In addition,(omit)

Many reasons : 'reasons' do not/did not contribute to the adoption of English worldwide, they explain why that happened. So it would be better to say,

Many factors
    have contributed to the

rising of English spreading : if English is already 'global', how can there still be an increasing spread of it? - unless we are beaming broadcasts in English to Mars, just in case.
    I think what you mean is:

Many factors have contributed to this
    spreading of English, for example, it is used for communication between people around the world,

as well as, it is language of modern times. : I'm not sure what you mean by this. I understand the words, but it seems that it is the language of modern times because, as you said in the previous sentence, it is used for communication between people around the world,
    I think it would be better to omit that part, and go straight on:

and is the language of science and technology.

There is no doubt that, the English is language of communication between the people with different cultures . : I would suggest you omit this. You have spoken about global, worldwide, which means different countries around the world, and hence, implies that of course, these countries will have different cultures and languages. And you have just said, 'communication between people around the world'

It is also the language of computers that help to communicate with the people around the world through Internet technology and e-mail. People who know English can deal with the Internet, which is regard information and communications revolution .
    I think you need to rewrite this section. English is not actually the language of computers, since they have arcane computer languages of their own! It is the Internet aspect which you need to stress

Perhaps if I do a separate post and give you some of the reasons why English has become the universal language, you might be able to incorporate/include these in your essay

SOMEBODY ELSE LIKE TO TACKLE THE NEXT SECTION?
    Also one of reasons that contributed to the spread of English that, it is the language of the modern era. Where the people are use it in various field of life such as, economy, e-commerce, medicine and aviation. In addition ,it is the language which use in the tourism and travel. This reasons motive the people to learn English .

One of the main reasons why the English is dominant in the present time, use it in the field of education by universities and institutes and, they use it in scientific research . It has become an addendum to the mastery of scientific individual stock. On the other hand, the English is an important requirement in most government jobs and private.

It is quite clear that English has become an necessity today. We need it in different fields of life . The English language has become easier to learn more than ever before with the availability of many sources to help people learn very easily. Such as the Internet, books and educational institutes which spread around the world.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by David L.; 27-Apr-2008 at 02:53.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Edit my paragraph plz

Great Britain was the last great empire to emerge in world history. At school, we had world maps where all the countries that were part of the Empire were coloured red – and there was red everywhere! And so, therefore, was the English language.

There were countries in Africa, before they gained independence (starting after World War II.) There was all of India, and the former East Pakistan and West Pakistan. (These had so many dialects, that English allowed Indians in one part of the country to be able to communicate with those in another part in a common language.) There was Hong Kong Island. England colonized Australia and New Zealand; and settled in Canada and what is now the U.S.A. Even though the States fought the War of Independence with England in 1776, English had become established as one of the languages. (The other was French, in the south, but with the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, the Americans bought the land that had been colonized by France, and so English spread to there as the first language also.)

At the same time, in the early part of last century, radio had been invented, and also spread around the world. The BBC set up a World Service, so that people in the most remote parts of the world had programs on the radio in English, bringing in news about their country, and about what was happening in the rest of the world. This was very important in countries where their government might only allow news reports favourable to the government – the BBC was regarded as faithful to the truth, and unbiased.

With the U.S.A. being the rising super-power of the last century – and all of Americans speaking English! – all business and trade and politics were facilitated…if those from other countries doing the business and trade could speak English. So, that was a big factor in why English was so readily adopted as this universal language.

After the War, America maintained a strong presence in the Philippines, and this certainly helped English to spread there, and in other countries where they had bases. And we shouldn’t overlook the influence of Hollywood, after Talkies came in. Films were sent round the world, and dubbing in dialogue in the language of each country was more expensive than leaving the English dialogue, and just putting in subtitles, so people heard the English, together with a ‘translation’ of sorts, and so, were able to start picking up words of the language every time they watched a movie!
    I’m sure others will be able to think of other reasons as well – that’s what occurs to me off the top of my head.
    Last edited by David L.; 27-Apr-2008 at 03:35.