Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default usage of the verb "to see"

    I found one sentence in the English textbook in which the verb "to see" is applied to the noun "years". It seems to me strange. Could you please help me to clarify this? Maybe the pronoun "we" was omitted in this sentence?

    The next twenty years will see great changes in both the workplace and education, but this should be regarded as an opportunity in itself, rather than a problem for society.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: usage of the verb "to see"

    You are wrong:) In this case, the verb 'see' is not for subject 'years'. In fact, this is one kind of 'emphasized sentence structure' as you can see in this eg:

    There stands a beautiful lady!

    The verb stand here is not for 'there' but for 'a beautiful lady'.. Am I understood??:)

  3. #3
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: usage of the verb "to see"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvita View Post
    I found one sentence in the English textbook in which the verb "to see" is applied to the noun "years". It seems to me strange. Could you please help me to clarify this? Maybe the pronoun "we" was omitted in this sentence?

    The next twenty years will see great changes in both the workplace and education, but this should be regarded as an opportunity in itself, rather than a problem for society.
    You are onto something. It could be seen as an elision, thus:
    (In) The next twenty years will (we) see great changes in both the workplace and education, but this should be regarded as an opportunity in itself, rather than a problem for society.
    Last edited by RonBee; 26-Apr-2008 at 19:08. Reason: punctuation

  4. #4
    engee30's Avatar
    engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: usage of the verb "to see"

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    You are onto something. It could be seen as an elision, thus;
    (In) The next twenty years will (we) see great changes in both the workplace and education, but this should be regarded as an opportunity in itself, rather than a problem for society.
    (In) The next twenty years (we) will see great changes ...

  5. #5
    engee30's Avatar
    engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: usage of the verb "to see"

    Quote Originally Posted by lanlethi2603 View Post
    You are wrong:) In this case, the verb 'see' is not for subject 'years'. In fact, this is one kind of 'emphasized sentence structure' as you can see in this eg:

    There stands a beautiful lady!

    The verb stand here is not for 'there' but for 'a beautiful lady'.. Am I understood??:)
    To a certain extent, you're right about that.

    In this case, the verb see means that something happens in a particular place or during a particular time, so instead of saying, Great changes ... will happen in the next twenty years, you can express the same idea through, The next twenty years will see great changes ..., as is similar to the existenial there:

    A girl is waiting at the door.
    There is a girl waiting at the door.



Similar Threads

  1. Question re Present Perfect of verb "to show"
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Nov-2007, 14:57
  2. Usage Of "does"
    By crool in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2007, 16:56
  3. The Usage Of 'mind' As A Verb
    By Jesule in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2006, 16:29
  4. Usage of be verb
    By kahhong in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Apr-2006, 22:18
  5. noun phrases
    By sting in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2004, 21:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •