Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: both/ both of

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for the links. :D

    I've read a lot of this and that at home, including books. They are almost perfect only if they offered explanations that why 'both+pronoun' doesn't work well.

    So your analysis is the most precious! :D

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: both/ both of

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Note that, 'you', a pronoun, cannot be directly modified by an adjective. That's why "of" is required.
    Silly of me. :D 8)

  3. #23
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by X Mode

    blacknomi,
    I think it's just a word order issue we are dealing with here. Does this make sense to you? It simply appears that we don't use "both" before a subject pronoun. It can come after, but not before. I never noticed that before. Now I notice it.


    So did I. Thanks to my LOVELY students whose questions make my brain and yours work hard.

    Glad both you and Cas notice it.

    :wink:
    It's so much fun.

    :D 8)

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: both/ both of

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    In short, "of" is required when prenominal "Both" modifies one pronoun:

    EX: Both of you are correct.
    EX: Both of them are correct.
    All of us see eye to eye to one another on this.

    Ooops, I forget your names, mm

    Thank you and you. :D

  5. #25
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: both/ both of

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    In short, "of" is required when prenominal "Both" modifies one pronoun:

    EX: Both of you are correct.
    EX: Both of them are correct.
    All of us see eye to eye to one another on this.

    Ooops, I forget your names, mm

    Thank you and you. :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    In short, "of" is required when prenominal "Both" modifies one pronoun:

    EX: Both of you are correct.
    EX: Both of them are correct.

    Yes, but I think the point is that it can't be a subject pronoun that "both" modifies in this way. It has to be an object pronoun. - know what I mean?

    We can't say "both of they", but we can say "both of them". This brings us back to "you". We can say "both of you", but we can't say "both of you". In the second one "you" is a subject pronoun. In the first one "you" is an object pronoun.


  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: both/ both of

    Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    Yes, but I think the point is that it can't be a subject pronoun that "both" modifies in this way. It has to be an object pronoun. - know what I mean?
    Is Pope Catholic? :D

  7. #27
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: both/ both of

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    Yes, but I think the point is that it can't be a subject pronoun that "both" modifies in this way. It has to be an object pronoun. - know what I mean?
    Is Pope Catholic? :D

    Is he?


  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: both/ both of

    Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    Yes, but I think the point is that it can't be a subject pronoun that "both" modifies in this way. It has to be an object pronoun. - know what I mean?
    Is Pope Catholic? :D

    Is he?

    Are we thinking the same?

  9. #29
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: both/ both of

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    Yes, but I think the point is that it can't be a subject pronoun that "both" modifies in this way. It has to be an object pronoun. - know what I mean?
    Is Pope Catholic? :D

    Is he?

    Are we thinking the same?
    I think so.


  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Okie dokie.
    I think our eyeballs are rolling on the floor for a while. 8)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk