Post Thanks / Like

Smile Analyzing the posts

Hi all,

I have recently started writing and I am a bit apprehensive about the grammatical and stylistic mistakes in my text. Kindly suggest some resources to learn more about the art of writing and also give some suggestions about the following articles written by me.

Farm loan waiver....

The "historical step" as it is addressed by Congress; the much-talked-about farm loan waiver is the least expected mockery by a government which has an eminent economist as Prime Minister and another economic scholar as Finance Minister.

It is very well known that farmers and their kins are taking their lives across different parts of the country. But is there anyone who would say the farm loan waiver of 60,000 crore Rs. will alleviate the problem. Charity is good but only when it is accompanied with other positive measures, such as providing better seeds, technology, irrigation facilities, etc. to the farmers. Government could have organized workshops and education programmes for farmers to make them aware with the right practices. Instead, government has offered a huge loan waiver which would do nothing but ultimately prove a burden on the tax-payer.

The collective debts of farmers in the country are much higher than the proposed waiver so even if we assume the waiver is given, only a fraction of farmers will benefit from it. The waiver looks more like a electoral tactic in the election year than a well thought-out positive step from the government. Such short-sightedness may lead the farmers to utter despair and disappointment rather than helping them.

Are Naxalites terrorists ?

I was sitting in my class and some naxalite attack in a village in Andhra Pradesh was being discussed. Naxalites had attacked a village, robbed people and killed them. Suddenly our teacher said, "I do support the naxalites....whatever they are doing is right."

"But they are killing people, they are terrorists." contested a student.

"They are just retaliating against the sheer neglect and injustice meted out to them by the government for the last 60 years. Naxalism has grown successfuly in the areas where government has failed........government has been unable to provide these people with the basic amenities such as food, shelter et al., leave alone the things like employment, social justice et al.,.....they have always been kept away from the mainstream.....they are as much a part of the Indian Union as the other areas yet they have never been given the proper treatment....and now if they are demanding secession from the Indian Union....what's wrong in that...they have the right to govern themselves.....don' they ?" I questioned.

"So they are not terrorists. Huh ?" added our teacher.

"No, they are. I am no expert on naxalism.....but I understand while their end may be right but the means are certainly not acceptable....Ideologically they may be right....but there are much better ways to protest and press their demands especially in a free democracy like India.....If they have so much force and support with them why to use it in destructive activities....moreover, killing innocent people [for whatever reason] is not justified in a highly civilized society in 21st century.

They are in fact terrorizing people and the government through their violent activities and it certainly qualifies them to be called terrorists." I answered.

The discussion ended just there becacuse we also had to do some "Padhai" but the question still intrigues me [as ever] whether the naxalites are right or wrong.....

PS: The above anecdote is based purely on my little knowledge and judgemental abilities...for the past one year I have been trying to learn more about naxalism and why some "intellectuals" support it.... but haven't been successful yet to get an answer. Any help in this matter is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Analyzing the posts

"They are just retaliating against the sheer neglect and injustice meted out to them by the government for the last 60 years. Naxalism has grown successfuly in the areas where government has failed........government has been unable to provide these people with the basic amenities such as food, shelter et al., leave alone the things like employment, social justice et al.,.....they have always been kept away from the mainstream.....they are as much a part of the Indian Union as the other areas yet they have never been given the proper treatment....and now if they are demanding secession from the Indian Union....what's wrong in that...they have the right to govern themselves.....don' they ?" I questioned.

"So they are not terrorists. Huh ?" added our teacher.

"No, they are. I am no expert on naxalism.....but I understand while their end may be right but the means are certainly not acceptable....Ideologically they may be right....but there are much better ways to protest and press their demands especially in a free democracy like India.....If they have so much force and support with them why to use it in destructive activities....moreover, killing innocent people [for whatever reason] is not justified in a highly civilized society in 21st century.

These conversations need to be re-written into complete sentences. Puncuation and capitalization of the first word of the sentence is needed to undertand who said what. Also, the second section (quoted conversations) does not match the first section (reporti style). If you want this to "flow" as one paper, then you need to match the writing style throughout.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Analyzing the posts

Please point out which sections you are talking about.
    Could you please elaborate more as to how do I go about changing the format. Could you please point out some specific mistakes apart from these.
    Last edited by amit sharma; 07-May-2008 at 14:50. Reason: added some sentences

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Excuse me. I did not realize these were two different articles you were submitting. .

Now I understand what you are practicing.

Still, the conversations need to be written correctly. See http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/c...r_dialogue.pdf

see also Home Page

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, as you're interested in writing, this piece is worth reading: Politics and the English Language