• Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

• Post Thanks / Like

Harry Homemaker

Hi,

Few questions to ask.

1) It's a sealer. A fire-retardant. Professional-grade. Brand name's Flame Guard. Harry Homemaker can get it, but mostly it's used by contractors.

Is Harry Homemaker a general homemaker? I mean Harry here needs not to be a name of a person, right? Just like John Doe. In this case, instead of saying Harry Homemaker can get it, can we say normal homemaker can get it?

2) She rode the miserably crowded elevator another three floors before she bailed and switched to the glide for the rest of the trip to Commander office.

A glide here, can it mean an "escalator"? I think it shouldn't be a flying object 'coz it's in the building. U know, like changing from crowded lift to use escalator instead. Possible??

3) "I worked with the witness for 3 hours. I think I got her close, but I'm not passing out cigars. You can only lead them so far. And you can tell when they're just making things up, or mixing them up, or just going along so you'll finish and let them go."

What does "pass out cigars" here mean? Oh, the guy is a police to draw a picture of a criminal from the information given by the witness statement. Can it be easily said as "but I'm not sure" instead of "I'm not passing out cigars"??

Thank you! :D

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harry Homemaker

Quote Originally Posted by beeja
    Hi,

Few questions to ask.

1) It's a sealer. A fire-retardant. Professional-grade. Brand name's Flame Guard. Harry Homemaker can get it, but mostly it's used by contractors.

Is Harry Homemaker a general homemaker? I mean Harry here needs not to be a name of a person, right? Just like John Doe. In this case, instead of saying Harry Homemaker can get it, can we say normal homemaker can get it?

Harry homemaker - someone who ypdates/remodels and takes very good care of his residence. You may say that the product is available at home imnprovemetn stores.

Homemaker - housewife with no employment outside the home.

2) She rode the miserably crowded elevator another three floors before she bailed and switched to the glide for the rest of the trip to Commander office.

A glide here, can it mean an "escalator"? I think it shouldn't be a flying object 'coz it's in the building. U know, like changing from crowded lift to use escalator instead. Possible??
    This sounds like a clip from a sci-fi novel. It does not matter. Why are you using americanisms?

3) "I worked with the witness for 3 hours. I think I got her close, but I'm not passing out cigars. You can only lead them so far. And you can tell when they're just making things up, or mixing them up, or just going along so you'll finish and let them go."

What does "pass out cigars" here mean? Oh, the guy is a police to draw a picture of a criminal from the information given by the witness statement. Can it be easily said as "but I'm not sure" instead of "I'm not passing out cigars"??
    Pass out cigars - celebrate. When child is born cigars are handed out with pink or blue ribbons.
    Thank you! :D

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harry Homemaker

Quote Originally Posted by twostep

Why are you using americanisms?
    Thanks for your help. Well, to answer your question, I have to translate the american novel into Thai (my language), that's why I found lot of american slangs that I need people here to help me figure out. And you are the one who helps me a lot! Tks. :D