Thread: Quatation marks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quatation marks

Are these correct? If not, why?
    “Try telling youself that,” she countered.
    “Try telling youself that.” she countered.

Where can I get a guide online to study about how to use quotations for dialogs?

BTW Are these incorrect? If so, why? What are the ways that I can do to correct it?

1. Where can I get a guide online to study about how to use dialogs quotations?

2. Where can I get a guide online to study about how to use dialog quotations?

3. Where can I get a guide online to study about how to use dialog quotation?

4. Where can I get a guide online to study about how to use dialogs quotation?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quatation marks

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Are these correct? If not, why?
    “Try telling youself that,” she countered.
    “Try telling youself that.” she countered.
    The entire sentence, 'Try telling yourself that' is the object of the verb 'countered', so it shouldn't be separated from 'countered':

She countered, "Try telling yourself that."

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Where can I get a guide online to study about how to use quotations for dialogs?
    Click here. 8)

BTW Are these incorrect? If so, why? What are the ways that I can do to correct it?
    1. Where can I get a guide online to study about how to use dialogs quotations?
    ==> dialogue, note the spelling, functions as an adjective here; adjectives don't take -s. :wink:

2. Where can I get a guide online to study about how to use dialog quotations?
    ==> Correct. :D

3. Where can I get a guide online to study about how to use dialog quotation?
    ==> quotations, with an -s: more than one quotation.

4. Where can I get a guide online to study about how to use dialogs quotation?[/quote]
    ==> Adjectives don't take -s, and quotation needs to be plural.

All the best, :D