Post Thanks / Like

Please check these sentences?

Hi, could you please check these sentences and if needed, to correct (and explain why) you corrected them?

There was a lot of vine on the party, but almost none of it was drinked.

Tom had said he would contact me, but he didnt either call or write.

There are many reasons why I donīt want to marry you. Here is a couple of them.

Thanks a lot!

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please check these sentences?

Quote Originally Posted by kiki-monkey View Post
    Hi, could you please check these sentences and if needed, to correct (and explain why) you corrected them?

There was a lot of wine at the party, but almost none of it was drunk.

Tom had said he would contact me, but he didn't either call or write.

There are many reasons why I donīt want to marry you. Here are a couple of them.

Thanks a lot!
    #1 vine = plant; wine = drink. drink, drank, drunk
    #2 Apart from the missing apostrophe, it is fine.
    #3 "Here are two reasons."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    #1 vine = plant; wine = drink. drink, drank, drunk
    #2 Apart from the missing apostrophe, it is fine.
    #3 "Here are two reasons."

Seriously?? My teacher (these are sentences from my exams I wrote on friday) checked them as wrong, she said that these things I highlited in red now are wrong. Now where is the truth?? And Id love to hear your opinion on this, because this is not the first time she would mark the correct option as the wrong one.

There are many reasons why I donīt want to marry you. Here are a couple of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously?? My teacher (these are sentences from my exams I wrote on friday) checked them as wrong, she said that these things I highlited in red now are wrong. Now where is the truth?? And Id love to hear your opinion on this, because this is not the first time she would mark the correct option as the wrong one.

If these are your answers, I can see nothing wrong with them. Perhaps you should very tactfully ask your teacher to explain why they are wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

If these are your answers, I can see nothing wrong with them. Perhaps you should very tactfully ask your teacher to explain why they are wrong.
    Well, when she talked about the mistakes, she said that "almost none of it (wine)" is a bad construction and there should be "hardly any wine"

For the second one, she said that the first part of the sentence was just plain indirect speech and there should be Tom said (past simple). As for the second part, I didnt catch how she explained that.

The 3rd one - she said (and taught us), that many/much can be used only in a negative sentence (she never stated though was is in her opinion a "negative sentence") and there should be a lot of reasons.
    And in the second part, it might have been check as false because originally Ive written "here is a couple" instead of "here are...". But when I check my classmateīs test, she had the sentence correct but she had written "here are (a) few of them" - Im not sure if there should be the "a" article.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help, I know Im probably a pain in the butt, but I want to learn english as the best I can, and I believe that understanding these minor details is an important part of my study at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

You are not a pain in the butt - just someone not happy with what they have been told!

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, I guess you can put it like that

And what do you think about the explanation she gave us as why the sentences are correct like this and didnt acknowledge my version?

Post Thanks / Like

I am not going to comment about a teacher!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not going to comment about a teacher!
    No no, you probably misunderstood me I asked about what do you think about this - this is how the sentences should be and this is how she explained it. what do you think about the explanation? is it correct?

Well, when she talked about the mistakes I made, she said that "almost none of it (wine)" is a bad construction and there should be "hardly any wine"

For the second one, she said that the first part of the sentence was just plain indirect speech and there should be Tom said (past simple). As for the second part, I didnt catch how she explained that.

The 3rd one - she said (and taught us), that many/much can be used only in a negative sentence (she never stated though was is in her opinion a "negative sentence") and there should be a lot of reasons.
    And in the second part, it might have been check as false because originally Ive written "here is a couple" instead of "here are...". But when I check my classmateīs test, she had the sentence correct but she had written "here are (a) few of them" - Im not sure if there should be the "a" article.

Because now I have a dilemma. Should I rust my teacher or should I trust a native British? (not that I donīt trust you, but you get the point...:) )

Post Thanks / Like

No no, you probably misunderstood me I asked about what do you think about this - this is how the sentences should be and this is how she explained it. what do you think about the explanation? is it correct?

Well, when she talked about the mistakes I made, she said that "almost none of it (wine)" is a bad construction and there should be "hardly any wine"

Because now I have a dilemma. Should I rust my teacher or should I trust a native British? (not that I donīt trust you, but you get the point...:) )
    Or anyone? Please? Id really like to know if my teacherīs explanation of the mistakes is correct.......thanks