• Post Thanks / Like

phrasal verbs>>>>help...im crying seriously..!

Hello teachers.....!I m questioning after a long time.....!!!!

My question is about preposition usage in phrasal verbs.....!

like :Get off,get on,get up,get down,get along,get across,pull up,pull down,put up,put down,listen up,get through,hook up,broke up etc.....!basically what i want to ask is that :

The prepositions in these wordssss:how can i identify the meaning of prepositions:up,down,across,down,off,on,through,al ong etc.....!!

With get we use up ,with put we use up, Is there any difference with the meaning of up in both.....!I will ask more examples....!!

I cant remember wheather pull down means to move down or something.Alright this phrasal verb was easy..but what about other difficult phrasal verbs....!which we use commonly in the United States of America...!

Put it up,(I know what does put mean but how can i identify the meaning of up with put)....!similar to other verbs with up and so on.!sorry for detaling question...!but question is still same meaning of preposition in phrasal verbs....!I m sorry for taking your precious time....hope I cleared what i wanted to say.

Thank You...!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: phrasal verbs>>>>help...im crying seriously..!

Quote Originally Posted by ovair View Post
    Hello teachers.....!I m questioning after a long time.....!!!!

My question is about preposition usage in phrasal verbs.....!

like :Get off,get on,get up,get down,get along,get across,pull up,pull down,put up,put down,listen up,get through,hook up,broke up etc.....!basically what i want to ask is that :

The prepositions in these wordssss:how can i identify the meaning of prepositions:up,down,across,down,off,on,through,al ong etc.....!!

With get we use up ,with put we use up, Is there any difference with the meaning of up in both.....!I will ask more examples....!!

I cant remember wheather pull down means to move down or something.Alright this phrasal verb was easy..but what about other difficult phrasal verbs....!which we use commonly in the United States of America...!

Put it up,(I know what does put mean but how can i identify the meaning of up with put)....!similar to other verbs with up and so on.!sorry for detaling question...!but question is still same meaning of preposition in phrasal verbs....!I m sorry for taking your precious time....hope I cleared what i wanted to say.

Thank You...!
    Though not a teacher, I would like to answer your question.
    Phrasal verb is a group of words that is used like a verb and consists of a verb with an adverb or preposition after it, for example 'set off' or 'look after'.

More often than not, a phrasal verb has a complete different meaning with its independent components, such as "set" and "off" vs "set off(to start to go somewhere)", "look" and "after" vs "look after(to take care of someone by helping them, giving them what they need, or keeping them safe)". So, different/same verbs with different prepositions/adverbs convey different meanings. There is no short cut or rule in mastering them all, and you have to learn them one by one by rote.
    (NAT)
    Last edited by albertino; 01-Jun-2008 at 16:29.

• Post Thanks / Like

did native americans learn phrasal verbs???these phrasal verbs must have some sense(meaning) or some kind of commonality that helps them to punch/say right phrasal verb at the right moment...!basically a right decision..!..!!there must be..if im not wrong...!thank you for ur precious time..!

• Post Thanks / Like

As Albertino says, you have to learn them - just as small children do when they learn to talk.

But rather than merely learn them off by heart, you must use them - so when learning them, write several sentences with each one in. You have to fix them in this way.

• Post Thanks / Like

thank you...

but still i have some confusion....!how to fix phrasal verb in the sentence...!!

like if i take these two phrasal verbs : talk over,come along

is this sentence correct: I want to talk over you something....would you come along with me for awhile?

thank you....!

• Post Thanks / Like

I mean pharsal verb can be put any where in the sentence.....!!!before helping verb,subject,after object with phrasal adverb..!or is there any particular place for it?

thank you..!

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ovair View Post
    thank you...

but still i have some confusion....!how to fix phrasal verb in the sentence...!!

If I take these two phrasal verbs : talk over,come along

Are these sentences correct: I want to talk over you something....Would you come along with me for a while?

thank you....!
    Think your sentences through logically:

I want to talk over [something] [with you]

They like to talk over [what they have done] when they have finished,

He came along [for the ride] when we went to the park.

She can come along [with you] [to the concert], if you want.

• Post Thanks / Like

thx.!