Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: a failed day?

• Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Failed years = wasted years??
    That could be, but not necessarily. We learn by trying. We can learn from failure, so I wouldn't say that failed years are wasted years necessarily.

retrospect

8) :)
    failed years, OK, as a collocation that sounds more acceptable to me (i.e., in terms of native intuition) than, say, failed day. Could it be, X Mode, that failed day sounds odd to me because it's not a collocation? :? That is, in contrast, even though the non-collocated form white and black is grammatical (i.e., adjective+conjunction+adjective) is it still considered acceptable in this context

I have a white and black TV.

All the best, :D

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: a failed day?

Not that I disagree, but, nevertheless, what about these?

A. a failed house
    B. a failed paper
    C. a failed student

I would say not to A and B. I think C is more of a possibility given the proper context.

One never knows. Given the proper context, A and B could be possible too.

Here, I'd say we are speaking of collocation. Certain words occur with certain words, and certain words do not occur with certain words. Grammar doesn't help in this area. I've heard enough things that are grammatically correct but unusual and strange sounding to comment in this way I believe.

As to the rest of your previous post: Yes, it all makes sense to me. I agree.

• Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    That could be, but not necessarily. We learn by trying. We can learn from failure, so I wouldn't say that failed years are wasted years necessarily.

retrospect

failed years, OK, as a collocation that sounds more acceptable to me (i.e., in terms of native intuition) than, say, failed day. Could it be, X Mode, that failed day sounds odd to me because it's not a collocation? :? That is, in contrast, even though the non-collocated form white and black is grammatical (i.e., adjective+conjunction+adjective) is it still considered acceptable in this context

Well, I don't know that I would say "failed day" is not a collocation. I think those words do go together. It's just that it's not common.

• Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

retrospect

Well, I don't know that I would say "failed day" is not a collocation. I think those words do go together. It's just that it's not common.

Food for thought! Thank you. I'll keep it on simmer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3