• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Alien Words in English

The Chinese were grateful. They were overjoyed when Mr Fukuda succeeded Mr Abe after a year. Mr Fukuda’s father, when he was also prime minister, had restored diplomatic relations between the two countries; Mr Fukuda fils was considered a “friend of China”, that double-edged honour. He had long criticised politicians’ visits to Yasukuni and believed that Japan’s good relations with its Asian neighbours were paramount
    Hello! I have some questions about the alien words in English. Could you please pen your thoughts? Thank you!

Q1: Can I replace " fils" with " Jr. " in above context?

Q2: Do most native English speakers, who are not well-educated, understand the alien words, e.g. French words, and Latin words.

Q3: Why are the authors reluctant to use pure English words in their articles? Some of the alien words actually have equivalent English words. Do they make a play of words or show off their knowledge? I learned just a few population speak Latin nowadays, such as people in Vatican.

e.g. Patience is a sine qua non for a good teacher ( Do you think whether "prerequisite" is a better alternative for the Latin word?)

Q4: Do you think a foreign English learner should try to imitate the style or not? <--This is the question I most want to learn.

PS. I knew a little why English language were involved with Latin, and French languages due to historical causes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alien Words in English

Hello! I have some questions about the alien words in English. Could you please pen your thoughts? Thank you!
    They would not be referred to as 'alien' but 'foreign' as they are from a 'foreign language'.

Q1: Can I replace " fils" with " Jr. " in above context?

Jr. tends to be more used in America and is ill-matched with a Japanese name!. In Brit, we would be more like to say "His son" since they would have the same surname, or 'His son, Mr. Frank Fakuda,...'

Q2: Do most native English speakers, who are not well-educated, understand the alien words, e.g. French words, and Latin words.

NO

Q3: Why are the authors reluctant to use pure English words in their articles? Some of the alien words actually have equivalent English words. Do they make a play of words or show off their knowledge? I learned just a few population speak Latin nowadays, such as people in Vatican.

e.g. Patience is a sine qua non for a good teacher ( Do you think whether "prerequisite" is a better alternative for the Latin word?)

Perhaps they believe the foreign word expresses a nuance that the English word doesn't posses, or the foreign expresses it more succinctly (eg 'frisson'), or that it sounds less like a cliche when expressed in another language.

Q4: Do you think a foreign English learner should try to imitate the style or not? <--This is the question I most want to learn.

Just stick to mastering English. As you ask above, at least half the population would not know the meanings of these words if you wrote them or included them in your speech!

PS. I knew a little why English language were involved with Latin, and French languages due to historical causes.
    Last edited by David L.; 07-May-2008 at 13:17.

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alien Words in English

Hello David L.,

Thanks a lot for your answers! I got it.