Post Thanks / Like

Default To trifle with or to be trifled with

Hello,

Is it correct to say:

Depression is not something to trifle with
    or
    Depression is not something to be trifled with.

The whole sentence is: Depression is not something to trifle with as it is a serious medical condition and should be taken seriously.

Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: To trifle with or to be trifled with

Quote Originally Posted by Abusaad
    Hello,

Is it correct to say:

Depression is not something to trifle with
    or
    Depression is not something to be trifled with.

The whole sentence is: Depression is not something to trifle with as it is a serious medical condition and should be taken seriously.

Both ways are correct.

to trifle - infinitive

to be trifled - infinitive to be + past participle - passive voice

We can use both. In this case I think "to be trifled with" sounds good. In other sentences "to be + past participle" might not sound so good.

wunaide Guest

Others might disagree, but to me, usage dictates that there is a slight distinction in meaning between "to trifle with" and "to be trifled with" that goes beyond a question of passive vs active". It might be putting too fine a point on it, but for me "to trifle with something" has a fairly broad meaning that includes that of "to fiddle with something" in the sense that there is physical contact and or interference involved, while "to be trifled with" has a rather more restricted sense of "to be not taken seriously", and does not carry the same implication of physical contact and/or inteference.

Thus though I would myself much prefer

depression is not something to be trifled with as it is a serious medical condition

over

depression is not something to trifle with as it is a serious medical condition,

I don't like

depression is not something to be trifled with as it is a serious medical condition and should be taken seriously

as to my mind it contains a redundancy (ie not something to be trifled with = should be taken seriously).

Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wunaide
    Others might disagree, but to me, usage dictates that there is a slight distinction in meaning between "to trifle with" and "to be trifled with" that goes beyond a question of passive vs active". It might be putting too fine a point on it, but for me "to trifle with something" has a fairly broad meaning that includes that of "to fiddle with something" in the sense that there is physical contact and or interference involved, while "to be trifled with" has a rather more restricted sense of "to be not taken seriously", and does not carry the same implication of physical contact and/or inteference.

Thus though I would myself much prefer

depression is not something to be trifled with as it is a serious medical condition

over

depression is not something to trifle with as it is a serious medical condition,

I don't like

depression is not something to be trifled with as it is a serious medical condition and should be taken seriously

as to my mind it contains a redundancy (ie not something to be trifled with = should be taken seriously).
    I see what you mean about the slight distinction.

As far the sentences go, I'm not so sure I see a reduncancy in the last one. However, I understand what you're getting at. I'm just not so sure I'd label it as a redundancy. It's something to consider. I see your point, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I like your posts, wunaide.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you X Mode and wunaide. I have got the point.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one more question.

Depression is not something to live with for life.

Depression is not something to live with for a life.

Should there be an "a" before life?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one more question.

Depression is not something to live with for life.

Depression is not something to live with for a life.

Should there be an "a" before life?
    Depression is not something one should (have to) live with for a lifetime. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much Casiopea.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much Casiopea.
    You're welcome. :D