Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default christened it their place to be

    I would appreciate if someone could rephrase the phrase "christened it their place to be" in the excerpt below, especially the word christen.


    "It was the kind of nightclub that existed only once every decade—at a point in the social nexus when the gods of publicity, fashion, and celebrity converged to create a singularly spectacular environment. Following in the hallowed tradition of mid-'70s Studio 54, late-'80s Palladium, and early-'90sMoomba , Block 122 had entered an iconic realm that defined a movement, a lifestyle, a generation. A cocktail-combo clientele of the city's
    most beautiful, envied, notorious, and all-powerful citizens had christened it their place to be."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: christened it their place to be

    Wouldn't simply: 'christened it their place' suffice? If you wanted to change christen, you might say 'called it their place', 'deemed it their place', 'labelled it their place', etc.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: christened it their place to be

    Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare's brother View Post
    Wouldn't simply: 'christened it their place' suffice? If you wanted to change christen, you might say 'called it their place', 'deemed it their place', 'labelled it their place', etc.

    The word "christened" isn't used in this way in my native language, so it's difficult to translate the phrase without losing its specific meaning. However, the phrase "labelled it their place" would be much easier to translate correctly, and therefore, as you say, suffice ...

  4. #4
    rj1948 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: christened it their place to be

    Quote Originally Posted by Caorthine View Post
    The word "christened" isn't used in this way in my native language, so it's difficult to translate the phrase without losing its specific meaning. However, the phrase "labelled it their place" would be much easier to translate correctly, and therefore, as you say, suffice ...
    ....desired it their place.

  5. #5
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    21,648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: christened it their place to be

    Quote Originally Posted by rj1948 View Post
    ....desired it their place.
    Dear rj,
    You really can't say "desired it their place" even if "desired" was the right word,(I don't think it is), you would have to say "desired it to be their place".

  6. #6
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: christened it their place to be

    How about "decided it was the place to be"?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: christened it their place to be

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    How about "decided it was the place to be"?
    Decided could work as well. However, the overall meaning here, I think, has to do with what's really, really "in" at that particular moment, and that the "in crowd" thinks that to be, well, really, really "in" (which of course is really, really important ) this is the place to be. Maybe nobody really decides what is "in" or what is "out", and in the beginning, perhaps the "in crowd", because they surely can't imagine themselves being somewhere that is not "in", made the place "in" by not wanting to be "out", i.e. no real decision was made to make the place "in", like a plant growing from a seed. Too philosophical ? Well, perhaps .

    (And no, rj1948, desired is not the right word.)

  8. #8
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    21,648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: christened it their place to be

    Quote Originally Posted by Caorthine View Post
    Decided could work as well. However, the overall meaning here, I think, has to do with what's really, really "in" at that particular moment, and that the "in crowd" thinks that to be, well, really, really "in" (which of course is really, really important ) this is the place to be. Maybe nobody really decides what is "in" or what is "out", and in the beginning, perhaps the "in crowd", because they surely can't imagine themselves being somewhere that is not "in", made the place "in" by not wanting to be "out", i.e. no real decision was made to make the place "in", like a plant growing from a seed. Too philosophical ? Well, perhaps .

    (And no, rj1948, desired is not the right word.)
    Hi,
    How about "baptised", or is that a bit too biblical?

  9. #9
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: christened it their place to be

    Quote Originally Posted by Caorthine View Post
    Decided could work as well. However, the overall meaning here, I think, has to do with what's really, really "in" at that particular moment, and that the "in crowd" thinks that to be, well, really, really "in" (which of course is really, really important ) this is the place to be. Maybe nobody really decides what is "in" or what is "out", and in the beginning, perhaps the "in crowd", because they surely can't imagine themselves being somewhere that is not "in", made the place "in" by not wanting to be "out", i.e. no real decision was made to make the place "in", like a plant growing from a seed. Too philosophical ? Well, perhaps .

    (And no, rj1948, desired is not the right word.)
    I think what Anglika meant was that they decided for themselves that it was the place to be, not that they decided that for other people.

  10. #10
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: christened it their place to be

    Absolutely!

Similar Threads

  1. last a second and a good place to start
    By XINLAI-UE in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Mar-2008, 01:35
  2. a place in the sun
    By Nefertiti in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2007, 02:16
  3. diference between native place and place of birth
    By dharanija35 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Dec-2006, 03:46
  4. A dirty place to sit
    By Stephan Wilhelm in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2006, 09:03
  5. "place to live" and "place to live in"
    By dcomest in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2005, 07:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk