Thread: Talkbean

Post Thanks / Like

Default Talkbean

So, tell me what you know about Talkbean. I saw their ad for online tutors and they said they were hiring "10". They also said they had signed up 20,000 students for online lessons, so you do the math.

Are these people serious about hiring and paying English professionals, or should I look elsewhere?

I saw one of their video testimonials, and a middle-aged woman was clearly reading a statement to the web cam.

Just give me an honest assessment in your own words

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Talkbean

I looked at their website and sample videos. It appears anyone can buy the software that allows video-conferencing and on-line tutoring. That says little about the calibre of the tutor using the software.

What appalled me, was that in the advertising video, the student reads the written test, and says : "Locate the vocabulary? What does that mean?"
    The tutor replies, "That means that as you read, you are going to locate the vocabulary." The student replied, "Oh!", as if understanding...or as I suspect, being polite.
    And that video is supposed to be their best shot at advertising the worth of their service?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

If they've have not got the costs of bricks-and-mortar setups, their conditions seem usurious:
    When international trade occurs, any fees to the Lecturer will be distributed at the rate of 8:2.
    This means the company in the country with student receives 80% of the fee and the company in the country with the teacher receives
    20% of the fee. The sales commission rate will be decided considering the initial cost and operation expenses, etc.associated
    with the international trade.
    They keep changing the name of the company: Interpark USA Inc, Interpark Communications Inc, and (the name used to register the site) Interpark Corporation. You'd think that a corporation would know its own name. They do tell you how to get in touch with them:

This Site is owned and operated by Interpark USA, Inc. If you have any questions or suggestions with respect to this Privacy Policy, or
    if you wish to ask us to delete, correct, or show you your information as provided above, you can write to us at the address indicated
    on the Contact page of our Site or you can simply click on Contact Us.

This Privacy Policy is effective from May 1st, 2008 and shall apply to current and future new users.
    The contact page, now where would that be? I can't see any contact page with an address in the site map: Learn or Teach! TalkBean
    On the homepage there's a link to contact them. It's an email link, not a link to a contact page or form. Hmmm, when was the last time I saw a big corporation that didn't have a contact page? Quite a while ago. It all looks a bit messy to me; I doubt that they have that many students- it looks like an opportunistic start-up to me. That said, if they make a fist of it, it could be good to have got in with them early.

Post Thanks / Like

I encounter this all the time at private English schools. Whatever the teacher "brings to the table" is not so important as "what the student brings to the school" i.e. cold, hard cash and lots of it. Many students are under the impression that school should be just like it was in Asia: teacher talking and students listening, waiting to be amused.
    When it comes time to take the TOEFL, they are sorely disappointed.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

There are quite a few such sites starting up and many of them seem to be rushed jobs and this is not the first that I have checked out that didn't give an address, which is enough for me not to want to work for them. I think a lot will close down pretty quickly- last year, I noticed when cleaning out the links database that a disproportionate number of online tutoring sites had shut.

klfelkins is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been working for talkbean for over a year now and I love it! Yes they have their issues such as not proof reading/listening but all in all its a great job. There is flexibility, you can do it anywhere you can have a good internet connection and its fun.
    Like any other job there are issues but hey it pays!
    If you can get a job with them go for it. And stick with it, the longer you are with them the better it gets.