Thread: A New Immigrant

dalijaz02 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A New Immigrant

When I came for first time to The United States, I was very surprised because the United States is very different to my country. Iím from to Dominican Republic which is a small country in comparison with this country; I was in the John F. Kennedy airport with my mother and my brother when I saw a police officer asking a question to my mother in English but she couldnít answer because she doesnít speak English, I studied English in Dominican Republic and I answered the question. At that moment, I began to think that I will need to learn English to be successful here.

When I walked in the streets for first time, I was surprised because I saw many buildings are too big and the streets are long and wide. In my country there are no buildings and street like here, the houses and buildings are small and narrow and many cities. In the first week I was excited, I went to many places, I went to visit my whole family, but in the second week, I was bored because I always was alone in the apartment, my mother and father was worked and I did not had nothing to do, for that I began to look for a job, but it was hard to find because I did not knew speak English too much and in New York City there are many people who came from different countries.

I took a sit in a park because I was tired and some sad and I said by myself I must learn English and I went to a college to fill out an application and after two months I started a program for people who need learn English. I also find a job in Burger King Restaurant. However, I was missing my family and my friends in Dominican Republic and I was depressed. My mother explained me that almost everybody when came for the first time to the United States suffer depression because in the United States the people have to work a lot and sometimes they donít have family here. Many people are illegal immigrants, they cannot see their kids and it is hard to find a job because they donít have a social security number to work. My mother was trying to say me that Iím lucky because Iím a legal immigrant.

My experience is a little bit different, As a Bhartati Iíll become a U.S citizen and living here for the rest of my life because U.S offer the opportunities that in my country I never found. I learned to love this country and I adapted to this culture. Also, I want to be a U.S citizen because I can have the right of vote in the elections and ensure the future of my children.

I think everybody who lives in the United States either, illegal immigrants or legal immigrants pay the price of self- transformation, both pay taxes and much of us adopt the U.S culture to be successful and have better life. In my experience as an immigrant, I feel happy of living here although I love my country because are my roots; I admit that I will not have the same benefits of studies and quality of life that I have here.
    Last edited by RonBee; 11-May-2008 at 14:31. Reason: clean it up

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A New Immigrant

Suggestions in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by dalijaz02 View Post
    When I came for first time to The United States, I was very surprised because the United States is very different to my country. Iím from to Dominican Republic which is a small country in comparison with this country; I was in the John F. Kennedy airport with my mother and my brother when I saw a police officer asking a question to my mother in English but she couldnít answer because she doesnít speak English, I studied English in Dominican Republic and I answered the question. At that moment, I began to think that I will need to learn English to be successful here.
    When I came to The United States for the first time, I was very surprised because the United States is very different from my country. I'm from the Dominican Republic, which is a small country compared to this country. I was in the John F. Kennedy airport with my mother and my brother when I saw a police officer asking my mother a question in English, but she couldnít answer because she doesnít speak English. I studied English in the Dominican Republic, and I answered the question. At that moment I began to think that I would need to learn English to be successful here.
    You have a tendency to run your sentences together. Make more sentences. Make shorter sentences.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A New Immigrant

When I walked in the streets for first time, I was surprised because I saw many buildings are too big and the streets are long and wide. In my country there are no buildings and street like here, the houses and buildings are small and narrow and many cities.
    When I walked the streets of this country for the first time I was surprised to see so many buildings so big and so tall and streets so long and wide. In my country the buildings are small and the streets are narrow.
    I was bored because I always was alone in the apartment, my mother and father was worked and I did not had nothing to do, for that I began to look for a job, but it was hard to find because I did not knew speak English too much
    I was bored because I always was alone in the apartment. My mother and father were working, and I didn't have anything to do. I began looking for a job, but it was hard for me to find work because I did not speak much English.