Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: To/Prep Ving

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default To/Prep Ving

    I'm interested in hearing that you got a real job.
    ==> When somebody is interested in doing something; it is said that he enjoys getting involved in that activity itself. He'd like to listen to ALL the details.


    I'm interested to hear that you got a real job.
    ==> This one is close to the previous one, just that it might not focus more on the activity itself, it centers more upon the state of one's mind and the final result that someone else got a job.


    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To/Prep Ving

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    I'm interested in hearing that you got a real job.
    ==> When somebody is interested in doing something; it is said that he enjoys getting involved in that activity itself. He'd like to listen to ALL the details.


    I'm interested to hear that you got a real job.
    ==> This one is close to the previous one, just that it might not focus more on the activity itself, it centers more upon the state of one's mind and the final result that someone else got a job.


    What do you think?

    That sounds about right to me. I can't think of anything to add or subtract from that.

    8) :)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Would you like some buttered popcorn? Or mustard flavor as you wish. 8)


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To/Prep Ving

    Really? Almost nothing to abstract from?! :D

    Okay, would you care for another one?


    No one is interested in buying second hand car.
    No one is interested to buy second hand car. ( Awkward, huh?)

  5. #5
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To/Prep Ving

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Really? Almost nothing to abstract from?! :D

    Okay, would you care for another one?


    No one is interested in buying second hand car.
    No one is interested to buy second hand car. ( Awkward, huh?)

    Yes, it's awkward. And "a - indefinite article" should before "second hand car".


    :D 8)

  6. #6
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Would you like some buttered popcorn? Or mustard flavor as you wish. 8)


    Buttered popcorn is fine, not too much salt though - just a little salt.

    Thanks,

    :)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To/Prep Ving

    Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Really? Almost nothing to abstract from?! :D
    Okay, would you care for another one?
    No one is interested in buying second hand car.
    No one is interested to buy second a hand car. ( Awkward, huh?)
    Yes, it's awkward. And "a - indefinite article" should before "second hand car".
    :D 8)
    But it's not so awkward that may impede understanding between a speaker and a listener. Aftering reading some examples, I conclude that some stative verbs such as understand, know, hear and see work well both in Prep+Gerund form and infinitive to form. But there are specific requirements when using an action verb with Prep+Gerund form. Agreed?

    I'm going to prepare my lessons. I'll come up more examples later. :wink:

  8. #8
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To/Prep Ving

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Really? Almost nothing to abstract from?! :D
    Okay, would you care for another one?
    No one is interested in buying second hand car.
    No one is interested to buy second a hand car. ( Awkward, huh?)
    Yes, it's awkward. And "a - indefinite article" should before "second hand car".
    :D 8)
    But it's not so awkward that may impede understanding between a speaker and a listener. Aftering reading some examples, I conclude that some stative verbs such as understand, know, hear and see work well both in Prep+Gerund form and infinitive to form. But there are specific requirements when using an action verb with Prep+Gerund form. Agreed?

    I'm going to prepare my lessons. I'll come up more examples later. :wink:

    No, I don't think it would impede understanding between a speaker and a listener.

    But there are specific requirements when using an action verb with Prep+Gerund form. Agreed? <<

    There could be. Could you give some examples? I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean.

    :D 8)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Did I post this one there? I forgot. Anyways, I'll just start from here.


    I'm interested to + infinitive stative verbs(know, read, see, undersand, hear, etc.)
    ==> Not all the stative verbs work here.

    I'm interested in + Gerund(often time they are action verbs)
    ==> Again, it gives progressive image, focusing on the whole action. ( I've posted it there, tell me what you think)


    I'm sorry to ask you a lot.
    I'm sorry for asking you a lot.
    To me, the second one sounds more colloquial. Other than that, I can't feel anything. (zombie face here)

  10. #10
    Steven D's Avatar
    Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Did I post this one there? I forgot. Anyways, I'll just start from here.


    I'm interested to + infinitive stative verbs(know, read, see, undersand, hear, etc.)
    ==> Not all the stative verbs work here.

    I'm interested in + Gerund(often time they are action verbs)
    ==> Again, it gives progressive image, focusing on the whole action. ( I've posted it there, tell me what you think)


    I'm sorry to ask you a lot.
    I'm sorry for asking you a lot.
    To me, the second one sounds more colloquial. Other than that, I can't feel anything. (zombie face here)
    The first one sounds more formal to me. The second one sounds more informal and common. I would not call it colloquial, as "colloquial" can at times be associated with language that is "non standard" or not 100% correct. The second sentence is perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with it at all.

    And yes, the first one sounds more formal. Context means a lot.

    The same thing goes for the other examples as well.

    :D 8)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •