Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
In what context could I use this idiom?

X: I followed the instructions of someone. He told me to look for what I want in my dictionary.
Y: It's rule of thumb that.

Am I into deep? Or does it work?

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK

X: I followed the instructions of someone. He told me to look for what I want in my dictionary.

Not really, philadelphia.
A: How much is a portion of rice?
B: A rule of thumb is that it is is two and a half handfuls.

Rule of thumb is "likely that it refers to one of the numerous ways that thumbs have been used to estimate things - judging the alignment or distance of an object by holding the thumb in one's eye-line, the temperature of brews of beer, measurement of an inch from the joint to the nail to the tip, or across the thumb, etc."

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not really, philadelphia.
A: How much is a portion of rice?
B: A rule of thumb is that it is is two and a half handfuls.

Rule of thumb is "likely that it refers to one of the numerous ways that thumbs have been used to estimate things - judging the alignment or distance of an object by holding the thumb in one's eye-line, the temperature of brews of beer, measurement of an inch from the joint to the nail to the tip, or across the thumb, etc."
Banderas's example is just right. If you use a rule of thumb measurement you are satisfied with an approximate measurement. You don't need exactitude.
:)

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Definitely closer. It will be helpful for me. I get it! Thanks both banderas and RonBee.

Bogota63

Member Type
Student or Learner

In engineering "rule of thumb" is used when one calculates any result approximately, without doing the math.

Take into account that I am not a teacher, I am an engineer!

Regards,

Bogota63

Huda-M

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
A rule of thumb -- an estimation that is made... according to a rough and ready practical rule.

rollerkoster

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
i got the meaning of rule of thumb. i answer the poll wrong though. because i think, since there are only 2 thumbs, that it would be exact. :-D

i don't know what he means so i don't know what's wrong with that. anyone care to explain? thanks..

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
i got the meaning of rule of thumb. i answer the poll wrong though. because i think, since there are only 2 thumbs, that it would be exact. :-D

i don't know what he means so i don't know what's wrong with that. anyone care to explain? thanks..
I don't know what he means either. It seems to be a non sequitur.

:-?

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
For a better understanding of this idiom, I need some illustrations with sentences.

Thank you in advance,

Madox

nitikasnv

Member Type
Student or Learner
meanning:

Hi,

rule of thumb:A rule or principle that provides guidance to appropriate behavior.

Thanks

Andylu2

Member Type
Student or Learner
I learned about this one recently in class. A rule of thumb is a general rule. It isn't exact. You could say that it is a rule of thumb that you should wait 20 minutes after eating before going swimming.

TheLondoner

Member Type
Other
One of the stories I've heard about rule of thumb comes from Elizabethan England (16th century).

The male head of house was allowed to keep a stick with which he could punish the children, servants (and even his wife!).

The rule, however, was that the stick should never be thicker than his thumb.

admiral

Member Type
Academic
"Rule of Thumb" refers historically to taking an approximate measurement.

Its use as an expression generally refers to the idea of making an approximate or 'usual' (non-specific) determination about a situation.

An alternate way of saying this would be "a general rule" meaning that in most cases a rule is usually correct to a situation but acknowledging that there might be occasional exceptions to said rule.

A good example of a rule of thumb is that a person should wait for an hour after eating before swimming.

It should be noted that the phrase has come under attack by various misinformed feminists as having to do with a legal term regarding the size of stick with which a man was allegedly allowed to beat his wife. However, after much debate, that particularly usage has been discredited.

So, the rule of thumb when using the expression "rule of thumb" is that you will be referring to an approximate or general rule.

Hopefully that is helpful.

lebai

Member Type
Student or Learner
before this, i think "rule of thumb" is a technical term. :cry:
thanks to all because of the brief explanation..

Status
Not open for further replies.