Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 812
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    progress and development

    A society's progress and development depends on its people's progress and development.
    I. Can I omit the black without changing meaning in this case?
    II. "its" is optional or totally unnecessary?


    The society's progress and development depends on that of its people.
    The progress and development of society depends on that of its people.
    The sentences' grammar are fine?

    Please.

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: progress and development

    Perhaps:
    A society's progress and development depends on the progress and development of its people.
    (The word grammar can normally be used only in the singular.)


    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 812
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: progress and development

    RonBeeRe: progress and development
    Perhaps:
    A society's progress and development depends on the progress and development of its people.

    I.Can I replace "depends on the progress and development of its people" with "depends on that of its people" ?

    II. Can "its" be omitted in this case?

    Please.

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: progress and development

    Quote Originally Posted by puzzle View Post
    RonBeeRe: progress and development

    Perhaps:
    A society's progress and development depends on the progress and development of its people.

    I.Can I replace "depends on the progress and development of its people" with "depends on that of its people" ?

    II. Can "its" be omitted in this case?

    Please.
    I suppose.

  3. Dawood Usmani's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 601
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: progress and development

    Quote Originally Posted by puzzle View Post
    A society's progress and development depends on its people's progress and development.
    I. Can I omit the black without changing meaning in this case?
    II. "its" is optional or totally unnecessary?


    The society's progress and development depends on that of its people.
    The progress and development of society depends on that of its people.
    The sentences' grammar are fine?

    Please.
    The progress and development of a society depends on its people.
    The progress and development of a society depends on that of its people.
    Hope this helps a bit!
    Dawood

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 812
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: progress and development

    I'm not sure for "that" used in this way. You think it's ok, but not good, right?

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 24,013
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: progress and development

    Quote Originally Posted by puzzle View Post
    I'm not sure for "that" used in this way. You think it's ok, but not good, right?
    It is absolutely correct,


    The progress and development of a society depends on that of its people.

    "that"= the progress and developement.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 812
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: progress and development

    How about these:

    A society's progress and development depends on its people's.
    Or,
    A society's progress and development depends on that of its people.

  5. Dawood Usmani's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 601
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: progress and development

    Quote Originally Posted by puzzle View Post
    How about these:

    A society's progress and development depends on its people's.
    Or,
    A society's progress and development depends on that of its people.
    We normally avoid genitive case with inanimate things. Of phrase is better. Your sentences are not grammatically incorrect though. But they are not a better choice, to me.
    Regards!
    Dawood

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 812
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: progress and development

    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sentence
    By puzzle in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-May-2008, 07:25
  2. Process or Progress a report
    By A-C in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Apr-2006, 10:17
  3. Recommendation of Employer
    By malagelson in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Feb-2006, 01:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •