Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ganeshtomar is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: How to write a formal letter

I am enquiring about how to write a formal letter to your Hod requesting to conduct a workshop if you are an academic structure within a school and has functional rights ?

ganeshtomar is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to write a formal letter

Quote Originally Posted by ganeshtomar View Post
    I am enquiring about how to write a formal letter to your Hod requesting to conduct a workshop if you are an academic structure within a school and has functional rights ?
    Pls send reply in my email ID

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for helping me

bmenglish is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Tips for Formal letter Drafting

The following points are to be regarded with mechanical and physical details of formal letters:

Heading / Title / Caption – The caption or heading comprises of the writer's address and the date of the letter. Only a date is required and writer's name is not included.
    Inside address – this part demonstrates the name and address of the recipient of the letter. In the inside address, include the suitable title of respect of the recipient and copy the name of the organization same as that organization writes it.
    Salutation / Greetings – Greetings like 'Dear Sir', is generally followed by a colon, except with a friendly, known or sociable tone is intended, in which case a comma is used. If you are unaware whether the recipient is a male or a female, then you can write ‘Dear Sir’ or ‘Dear Sirs’ and don’t bother about it.
    Subject or orientation line –The subject line replaces the salutation or greetings or it is included with it. The subject line states the main business of the letter.
    Body of the letter – The real message is enclosed in the body of the letter, the paragraphs between the salutation or greetings and the positive close.
    Positive close / Positive conclusion – The 'sincerely yours' facet of the formal letter is called the positive close. Other common ones are 'Thanking you', 'Cordially', 'Respectfully' or 'Respectfully Yours'. See that only the first letter is capitalized, and it is always followed by a comma.
    Enclosures / Attachments – To be certain that the recipient knows that items accompany the letter in the same envelope, use such indications as 'Enclosure', 'Encl' or 'Enclosures' (when two or more attachments are there in the letter). For instance, if you send a resume and writing sample with your application letter, you would write this: 'Encl: Resume and Writing Sample'. If the enclosure is lost, the recipient will come to know.
    Photocopy – If you want to send photocopy of a letter to others, specify this information among the end document also. If, for example, you were unhappy by a local trader's managing your repair issues and were sending a copy of your letter to the Better Business Bureau, you would write this: 'cc: Mr. Bhatia Mason, Attorney'.

Thanks
    Piyush Bhatia
    Founder and CEO of BM English Speaking Institute Pvt. Ltd.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you use a komma after "Dear Sir" or not?

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I do, but you'll see plenty of writers who don't.

Post Thanks / Like

are ther any tips how to write business letter?

sherko is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

[

Taukita is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Kiribati
      • Current Location:
      • Kiribati
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Reguest

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to please you for our basket ball court at Temaiku.The youth for Temaiku hava a talent for playing basket ball but the problem is we dont have any place to play.

As I am a basket ball coach,Im sure that it is very important to our youth here in Temaiku as now they are not using their talent and they are turning to alcoholic.

with your kinds
    yours Sincerly
    Taukita.C
    Last edited by Taukita; 12-Dec-2010 at 10:35. Reason: not completed

grammarly is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Reguest

Now, please note that I have no idea what your objective with this letter is, so I've assumed that you want to use the courts that these people, to whom you are writing, possess.

Quote Originally Posted by Taukita View Post

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a local basketball coach, and I am writing to you to gain support for youth basketball teams in Temaiku. The youth of Temaiku have a talent for playing basketball, but the problem is that we dont have any place to play. I would like to know if my teams and I may use your basketball courts for practicing.

From my experience working with the young people in the area, I am
    sure that it is very important for our youth in Temaiku to have a place to practice sport. Unfortunately, without a venue, many kids are not using their talent, and they are turning to alcohol use. I hope that working together we may be able to prevent this among our local youth.

With access to your basketball courts, we can really impact these kids' lives. I look forward to discussing possibilities with you. If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me at <insert contact>.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Yours sincerely,
    Taukita.C
    A breakdown:

In the first paragraph, you need to do three things:

1) Introduce yourself.

2) Explain, briefly, why you are writing

3) End the paragraph by stating what you expect.

In the second paragraph, you can explain more about what your experiences are and why you think contacting this person is valuable for you and for them.

In the third paragraph, you should do the following three things:

1) close by summing up what you would like.

2) make a statement about future contact (to establish your expections for their response)

3) Provide contact information.

Then, ALWAYS say thank you and close appropriately (Yours sincerely).

OTHER TIPS:

-- Formal letters often sound the same because authors commonly use the same sentence structures and even the exact same phrases. Memorising key phrases can make your letter writing much easier. Try phrases like: "I am writing because", "In my experience", "If you have any questions or comments", and "Please don't hesitate to contact me".

-- Also, it is useful to become familiar with transistional words and phrases, like "additionally", "unfortunately", "however", and "therefore" (to name a few).

Grammarly provides the world's best automated proofreading and grammar-check service: www.grammarly.com

Are you a Grammar junkie? Get your fix at Grammarly Answers - Q&A Forum: answers.grammarly.com.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast