Thread: let it be

Post Thanks / Like

let it be

What are the Beatles saying in the song "Let It Be"? I thought it means accept what has past, leave conflicts,regret, guilt behind & move on to other things. Similar to telling a child not to touch an object. The people around me think it expresses a wish for something desired (e.g. peace) to be fulfilled. Thank you.
    PS I have never written to any forum & don't understand the use of icons. Is it rude not to use one?
    Last edited by mrgl; 14-May-2008 at 13:57. Reason: typing error

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: let it be

Quote Originally Posted by mrgl View Post
    What are the Beatle saying in the song "Let It Be"? I thought it means accept what has past, leave conflicts,regret, guilt behind & move on to other things. Similar to telling a child not to touch an object. The people around me think it expresses a wish for something desired (e.g. peace) to be fulfilled. Thank you.
    PS I have never written to any forum & don't understand the use of icons. Is it rude not to use one?No it's not, unless you've written something that may be misunderstood.
    You're right about the meaning of "Let it be". Look at the context - Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom:...' In a Christian culture (not necessarily religious - just Western) the reference is obviously to the mother of Jesus; but I guess John Lennon was right ...
    (Note the icon, used as a defence mechanism!)

b

mfwills is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: let it be

Quote Originally Posted by mrgl View Post
    What are the Beatles saying in the song "Let It Be"? I thought it means accept what has past, leave conflicts,regret, guilt behind & move on to other things. Similar to telling a child not to touch an object. The people around me think it expresses a wish for something desired (e.g. peace) to be fulfilled.
    Have patience.

"There will be an answer; let it be."