Thread: Body Language

Qartais is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Body Language

Body Language

Hmm… Well body language isn't too reliable. Reason is that most of the times your body speaks without you even knowing it. - Meaning your body might make gestures that are so ingrained into your nature that you might not even realize that you are doing that particular gesture. And it takes years of practice to learn to decipher body language. The safe rule of thumb is, "If you think it can't be what it looks like, you’re probably right!" Like today, this girl sat right next to me in the bus. She sat on a folding seat beside me. When she got up to leave, she bent down to fold the seat. The seat wasn't budging, so she bent a little too much, so much so that her hair fell off her forehead and she was really close to me. Her breath was falling on my thighs. Now an inexperienced person would have jumped to the conclusion, "Oh wow! She probably digs me. That’s why she got so close to me.” And then the inexperienced person might try to make a move on her, only to discover she couldn't care less about him!

So how did I figure out she wasn't trying to give me a green signal to muster the courage to talk to her and maybe ask her out? Well, I looked closely at her eyes. Even though they seemed to be focused on directly above my thighs, some more careful inspection revealed that she was really trying to concentrate on folding the stubborn seat. Her line of sight was tilted toward the seat. Had it wavered toward my thighs, that would have been worrying. But that could be dismissed too as accidental. She could have gone one step further and tried to look directly into my eyes, as I was watching her head directly in front of my face. She didn't do that either. And if she had really wanted to give me the heebie-jeebies, she would have looked into my eyes and smiled. Now when a girl does THAT, it means you BETTER talk to her, because that's body language for "Hey, I think I like you. Why don't you stop being a scaredy cat and try chatting me up? I will make it worth your while ". And normally this ends in friendship at the very least or serious relationship in cases where the girl is just too dazzled by the guy’s personality.

So you see, I have just given you a lecture on how to read a girl's body language and be very sure if she likes you or not. You may notice that the more intentional the body gesture, the more probable that it is what you think it is. You just have to learn which gesture is deliberate and which one isn't.

Mister Nutty is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Body Language

Nice article!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Nutty View Post
    Nice article!
    Thank you, Mister Nutty.

Post Thanks / Like

I would appreciate comments from others also.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Body Language

nice article

Post Thanks / Like

Some more comments are appreciated.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Qartais View Post
    Body Language

Hmm… Well, body language isn't too reliable. The reason is that most of the times your body speaks without you even knowing it, meaning your body might make gestures that are so ingrained into your nature that you might not even realize that you are doing that particular gesture. And it takes years of practice to learn to decipher body language. The safe rule of thumb is, "If you think it can't be what it looks like, you’re probably right!" Like today, this girl sat right next to me in the bus. She sat on a folding seat beside me. When she got up to leave, she bent down to fold the seat. The seat wasn't budging, so she bent a little too much, so much so that her hair fell off her forehead and she was really close to me. Her breath was falling on my thighs.

Now an inexperienced person would have jumped to the conclusion, "Oh wow! She probably digs me. That’s why she got so close to me.” And then the inexperienced person might try to make a move on her, only to discover she couldn't care less about him!
    how did I figure out she wasn't trying to give me a green signal to muster the courage to talk to her and maybe ask her out? Well, I looked closely at her eyes. Even though they seemed to be focused on directly above my thighs, some more careful inspection revealed that she was really trying to concentrate on folding the stubborn seat. Her line of sight was tilted toward the seat. Had it wavered toward my thighs, that would have been worrying. But that could be dismissed too as accidental. She could have gone one step further and tried to look directly into my eyes, as I was watching her head directly in front of my face. She didn't do that either. And if she had really wanted to give me the heebie-jeebies, she would have looked into my eyes and smiled. Now when a girl does THAT, it means you BETTER talk to her, because that's body language for "Hey, I think I like you. Why don't you stop being a scaredy cat and try chatting me up? I will make it worth your while ". And normally this ends in friendship at the very least or serious relationship in cases where the girl is just too dazzled by the guy’s personality.

So you see, I have just given you a lecture on how to read a girl's body language and be very sure if she likes you or not. You may notice that the more intentional the body gesture, the more probable that it is what you think it is. You just have to learn which gesture is deliberate and which one isn't.

As the others say, nice piece.

There are some minor changes at the beginning, and I hope the informality is what your teacher is expecting.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Anglika,

I am glad you guys like my piece. I sometimes become so casual in writing that I don't mind such minutiae. I like to have a relaxed attitude which often reflects in my writings, like in this one. But more than striving to be relaxed or anything, I am tying to tell the reader how to read a girl's body language by showing them that the girl was in too close proximity to me than she should have been under normal circumstances. And had I not known about body language, I could have misconstrued her innocuous actions as interest when they were in fact nothing of the sort. Thanks for your kind corrections, but I think the first one is partial, since I aim to be informal. What are your thoughts?

Best wishes, Qartais

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Qartais View Post
    Hi Anglika,

Thanks for your kind corrections, but I think the first one is partial, since I aim to be informal. What are your thoughts?

Best wishes, Qartais
    I hold by my change - it reads better.

Your informality is fine, if it is acceptable in your teacher's view - in fact, you have a good grasp of colloquialsms. However, sometimes over-informal writing can lose logical structure.