• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how to teach pronunciation

I am a teacher and writer. My strength is in grammar. My boss from Korea wants me to teach a young student pronunciation. The boss said she is already fluent in English, but wants an American accent. I think this is the tougher side of teaching. I am familiar with the international phonetics. If my student can use that , I will demonstrate sounds for her.

While teaching, I saw and used textbooks that describe mouth parts and how to shape them to form sounds. Even when using this, my students did not gain much from my instruction. I need a better technique. I think listening to examples is part of the best way, but that is not enough.

What can I do to teach a Korean student the American pronunciation?

(I hope none of the future students asks me to teach British pronunciation. I'm not from England. I simply can't teach it correctly.)

oregeezer is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how to teach pronunciation

Try recording their speech and then critique the tape. They can learn to do this themselves and it will help them to listen more closely. Talk about stress and rhythm.
    Good luck!

GaryEM is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the self recording idea. I will provide recordings of myself too.

chahuiseaweed is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel it would be of great benefit to students if teachers could organize some activities. For example,we had a little gathering to finish off last year, and our class learned four short, amusing animal poems. We found it was best to split the class into groups of four, each with a different poem, and each with at least one "leader" who was a bit more confident and had a better sense of rhythm.
    Over the couple of weeks that they were learning their poems there was just a bit of competition; but I think when one group was performing the others were also interested in listening and questioning why they said it this way rather than that. The vocabulary was sometimes a bit out-of-the-way, but I think they enjoyed playing with these odd words, and there were enough everyday expressions to make it useful.

arunp is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GaryEM View Post
    I am a teacher and writer. My strength is in grammar. My boss from Korea wants me to teach a young student pronunciation. The boss said she is already fluent in English, but wants an American accent. I think this is the tougher side of teaching. I am familiar with the international phonetics. If my student can use that , I will demonstrate sounds for her.

While teaching, I saw and used textbooks that describe mouth parts and how to shape them to form sounds. Even when using this, my students did not gain much from my instruction. I need a better technique. I think listening to examples is part of the best way, but that is not enough.

What can I do to teach a Korean student the American pronunciation?

(I hope none of the future students asks me to teach British pronunciation. I'm not from England. I simply can't teach it correctly.)
    Check out whether this site is of help to you

English Pronunciation