Hell: A place where it is believed people's souls are sent and possibly punished after death.
I dont' think of the word "hell" as offensive or rude when describing that place, or a similar one.
I think it becomes rude when it's used for emphasis.
- Everybody clear the hell out – everybody get out of here as quickly as possible
- a hell of a lot of…. – very many
- a hell of a mistake - a very big mistake
- a hell of a thing to see; a hell of a pitcher; make a hell of a weapon– used for emphasis
- how the hell did… - adding surprise or annoyance to the question
- shot to hell – ruined
- hell! – expressing anger
- scares the hell out of me– very frightened
- let’s get the hell out of here – let’s go away very quickly
- blow the hell out of the whole ship – blow the ship up completely
- to hell with … - showing disregard, annoyance anger with someone or something
- what the hell…; what the hell are you doing? What the hell is going on here? - expressing confusion or surprise
- give Barnes hell in no uncertain terms; give him hell – say all the angry things you want to say to him
Credit to: The Terminal Man
- For Teachers