• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Usage of "as hell"

Hi Bobk,

Thank you for your input. It is easy for me to understand some words, such as, "hell", "damn", are no-nos for some people out of religious concern. But I can not understand why some words are especially unacceptable for specific age cohorts but might be okay for the others-adults. For example, I learned the phrase-" make someone's life as hell" from a piece of news in The Star- A Canada media outlet.

"Police have a right to know where he is," Russell Silverstein, who represented Spencer in 2005, said yesterday. "But they don't have carte blanche to make an offender's life hell."
    It seems that Silverstein had little concern that his word might sound offensive, hadn't he?

Should well-cultured adults try avoid to use these words which are unacceptable for kids, in their daily communications too?

By the way, what does "clear orf" mean? clear off? go out of here?

Thank you!

Kraken is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hell: A place where it is believed people's souls are sent and possibly punished after death.

I dont' think of the word "hell" as offensive or rude when describing that place, or a similar one.
    I think it becomes rude when it's used for emphasis.
    • Everybody clear the hell out – everybody get out of here as quickly as possible
    • a hell of a lot of…. – very many
    • a hell of a mistake - a very big mistake
    • a hell of a thing to see; a hell of a pitcher; make a hell of a weapon– used for emphasis
    • how the hell did… - adding surprise or annoyance to the question
    • shot to hell – ruined
    • hell! – expressing anger
    • scares the hell out of me– very frightened
    • let’s get the hell out of here – let’s go away very quickly
    • blow the hell out of the whole ship – blow the ship up completely
    • to hell with … - showing disregard, annoyance anger with someone or something
    • what the hell…; what the hell are you doing? What the hell is going on here? - expressing confusion or surprise
    • give Barnes hell in no uncertain terms; give him hell – say all the angry things you want to say to him

Credit to: The Terminal Man

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi Bobk,

Thank you for your input. It is easy for me to understand some words, such as, "hell", "damn", are no-nos for some people out of religious concern. But I can not understand why some words are especially unacceptable for specific age cohorts but might be okay for the others-adults. For example, I learned the phrase-" make someone's life as hell" from a piece of news in The Star- A Canada media outlet.

It seems that Silverstein had little concern that his word might sound offensive, hadn't he?

Should well-cultured adults try avoid to use these words which are unacceptable for kids, in their daily communications too?

Thank you!
    Hi,
    The origins of this word are in religion ,as I am sure you know, particularly in the Judeo-Christian tradition, also in Islam. However, it is very widely used in everyday English in many, many phrases and has largely lost its power as a word that gives offence. You are going to encounter a bewildering array of attitudes to this word because peoples attitudes to religion are so varied. I think that it is better to avoid it in childrens stories because of this fact. As I have said in a previous post to this thread, I have no personal problem with people using this word, I rarely use it but that is just a question of my preference not to use "slang" and nothing to do with the nature of the word itself.

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    Hell: A place where it is believed people's souls are sent and possibly punished after death.

I dont' think of the word "hell" as offensive or rude when describing that place, or a similar one.
    I think it becomes rude when it's used for emphasis.
    Hi Kraken,

Thanks for your comment. I beg to differ. I think it depends on the context though I am still not sure the proper usage.

Please click the URL of a related thread of mine as below and read a forumite- fromatto's comment in Post #2 there.

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...s-mileage.html

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Hi,
    The origins of this word are in religion ,as I am sure you know, particularly in the Judeo-Christian tradition, also in Islam. However, it is very widely used in everyday English in many, many phrases and has largely lost its power as a word that gives offence. You are going to encounter a bewildering array of attitudes to this word because peoples attitudes to religion are so varied. I think that it is better to avoid it in childrens stories because of this fact. As I have said in a previous post to this thread, I have no personal problem with people using this word, I rarely use it but that is just a question of my preference not to use "slang" and nothing to do with the nature of the word itself.
    Hi bhaisahab, thank you for your opinion.

Kraken is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, maybe I did not choose the right words.
    What i mean is: the word "hell", when applied to a [no slang][no emphasis] description, is not a rude word.
    1. "The bombs falling, dead soldiers all over the field... Believe me, it was hell".
    2. "They will not leave you alone, you'll be tormented night and day and they will make you feel you are in hell"
    Or, simply,
    3. "If you are bad you will go to hell".

In the first sentence, the whole context may not be appropriate for children, but it is not because of the word "hell" alone.
    As for the third one, well, children are told this kind of sentences more often than not!

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bobk,

Thank you!
    Silverstein's language was quite strong; and the image itself is hyperbolic. He's a lawyer. He's saying that the police have no right to make an offender's life extremely unpleasant. As he was making a public statement - either in a quote for a newspaper, or as part of his address to a jury - he was intentionally exaggerating his position; but as he was talking to adults, he felt justified in using slightly racy language.

b

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

For example, I learned the phrase-" make someone's life as hell" from a piece of news in The Star- A Canada media outlet.
    The phrase you quoted is "make an offender's life hell". That is, I believe, a shortened form of "make somebody's life a living hell". No "as" is used, but I suppose you could say something like "make him feel as if he is living in hell".

~R

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

Thank you very much for your help again and again. It is difficult for me to use English words properly but I will keep learning them bit by bit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123