Thread: lottery ticket

Post Thanks / Like

Default lottery ticket

for many americans, picking up a lottery ticket has become routine, despite the massive odds against striking it rich.

what does the "despite the massive odds against striking it rich" mean in the sentence??

Natalie27 Guest

Default Re: lottery ticket

Quote Originally Posted by mengta
    for many americans, picking up a lottery ticket has become routine, despite the massive odds against striking it rich.

what does the "despite the massive odds against striking it rich" mean in the sentence??
    it means that the odds of winning and therefore becoming rich are slim...VERY slim, almost null, zero, zip, nil, zippo, etc. The odds are not encouraging but we keep on playing because as they say: You don't play, you will NEVER win.

Post Thanks / Like

If 100,000 people by lottery tickets and only one ticket wins, then the odds are 99,000 to 1. That is, 99,000 people will lose and only 1 person will win. The odds are massive (i.e., substantially large) against you winning.

To strike it rich is an idiom, stemming from the days of gold mining. Gold miners used a tool called a pick. The gold miners strike the pick against stone to find gold. To strike it rich meant, to find gold. These days, striking it rich, means to win the lottery.

All the best,

Natalie27 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

If 100,000 people by lottery tickets and only one ticket wins, then the odds are 99,000 to 1. That is, 99,000 people will lose and only 1 person will win. The odds are massive (i.e., substantially large) against you winning.

To strick it rich is an idiom, stemming from the days of gold mining. Gold miners used a tool called a pick. The gold miners strike the pick against stone to find gold. To strick it rich meant, to find gold. These days, stricking it rich, means to win the lottery.

All the best,

>To strick it

I think you meant to "strike it rich" :wink:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie27

>To strick it

I think you meant to say "strike it rich" :wink:
    Yes. I did. Thank you. It's been a long day in the trenches.

Natalie27 Guest

>To strick it

me too. off to bed...z z z z z z z

Post Thanks / Like

>To strick it

me too. off to bed...z z z z z z z
    It's quarter to six in the evening here.