• Post Thanks / Like

CELTA application.. HELP!!

Hi, I'm sitting for the CELTA course in London, however the application form is overwhelming! There is a section where they ask you to comment on the differences in meaning of sentences and then to explain how you'd teach them to someone. Even though I know what they mean, and I can correct the sentences, it's not easy putting the explaination in words and I am very worried that because of this I might be refused for the course... CAn you guys help? I"ve put my answers and just need to know if these are the 'correct' way of answering them....

Comment on the difference in meaning and outline some ideas on how you would teach someone the difference...

1) If I had the money, I'd buy a new car.
    If I had the money, I'll buy a new car.

The difference is that (a) is more of a desire or wishfull thinking, while (b) is the intent to buy the car.
    How do you explain the difference to someone who doesnt' speak english?!?

2) The hosue was very isolated.
    The house was very secluded
    From what I know, islolated and secluded are synonms... however, isloated can refer to being completely away from everyone and everything, while secluded means hidden away.... is that right??
    I would draw a picture of a house sitting all alone and far off there are other house. However for secluded I would draw the same house and with a few other houses around it (not very close).

I really hope you guys can push me in the right track! My english is very strong, however, it comes logically to me and the concept of breaking it down and trying to figure out why or how something is said is kinda tough!! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it while I"m taking the course, but I'm just very nervous about the whole application process, including the 2 hour interview... can you guys give me any advice for the interview?

Haya

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: CELTA application.. HELP!!

Haya, first off, don't worry about not being accepted. The whole point of taking the CELTA is to learn more about how to teach English. From what I can tell based on your answers you're right where you should be. Remember, the objective of the pre-task is to give you a chance to show the committee what you know already, not what you should know already.

#1 You could explain these by giving them a context, a situation where you personally would use them:

If I had the money, I would buy a new car.
    If I have the money, I will buy a new car.

#2 A person on desert island is isolated if s/he is lonely; however, if s/he isn't lonely, say, chooses to be away from everything and everyone, like a famous person who goes on vacation, then the island would be considered secluded, away from everything and everyone. You could explain this to the students and then have them brainstorm situations where people and/or things are isolated and secluded.

The house was very isolated.
    The house was very secluded

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ssssooo much!!! I needed that vote of confidence :0) and most importantly your help. I really appreciate it!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

You're most welcome.

Don't be afraid to write what you know and what you don't know. Your initiative paves the way.