• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default safety line, security line or yellow line?

Dear teachers,

In Westen countries when there are many people, say at a bank, people have to stand in a queue. And there is a yellow line between the first person in the queue and the counter. In Chinese it is translated literally as safety line. And there are two words bearing the meaning 'safety'. One is safety. The other is security. Could you please tell me which word should be used for that line? Or since the line in in yellow, is it called 'yellow line'?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Lynne Hand Guest

Default Re: safety line, security line or yellow line?

Dear Jiang

I would call it a security line.

To me a safety line is something you attach to yourself to remain secure in a dangerous situation (such as climbing).

And in the UK a yellow line is a line painted on the road to stop or restrict people parking.

I hope this helps.

Learn English Online

Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

In Westen countries when there are many people, say at a bank, people have to stand in a queue. And there is a yellow line between the first person in the queue and the counter. In Chinese it is translated literally as safety line. And there are two words bearing the meaning 'safety'. One is safety. The other is security. Could you please tell me which word should be used for that line? Or since the line in in yellow, is it called 'yellow line'?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne Hand
    Dear Jiang

To me a safety line is something you attach to yourself to remain secure in a dangerous situation (such as climbing).

And in the UK a yellow line is a line painted on the road to stop or restrict people parking.

I hope this helps.

Learn English Online

Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Welcome.

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

:D
    Thanks! Now I see.

Jiang
    Dear Jiang

I hope this helps.

Learn English Online

Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Dear Jiang

I hope this helps.

Learn English Online

Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Welcome.