Results 1 to 10 of 10

Hybrid View

  1. peterwook
    Guest
    #1

    drive slow or drive slowly?

    hello, I'm really confused now.

    I haven't thought that 'drive slow' is grammartically right.

    But, I happened to hear that from the movie 'Rumor has it.'

    It's kind of trauma when the things you've believed strongly turned out to be wrong.

    Always good luck!

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 619
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: drive slow or drive slowly?

    Quote Originally Posted by peterwook View Post
    hello, I'm really confused now.

    I haven't thought that 'drive slow' is grammartically right.

    But, I happened to hear that from the movie 'Rumor has it.'

    It's kind of trauma when the things you've believed strongly turned out to be wrong.

    Always good luck!
    Drive slowly-is appropriate.GO SLOW is also fine.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 197
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: drive slow or drive slowly?

    Slow can be used as an adverb says the dictionary.

    slow - Definitions from Dictionary.com

    By the way they give the same example that you used here.

    Anyway, as I'm neither a native speaker nor a teacher I don't know if it's common to use it as an adverb.


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 1,571
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: drive slow or drive slowly?

    Similar structures: speak slower
    speak more slowly.


    It reminds me of a double predicate: The moon rose round and yellow,
    where 'round and yellow' characterize the moon, not the action 'rose'.

  2. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: drive slow or drive slowly?

    Quote Originally Posted by anreak View Post
    Slow can be used as an adverb says the dictionary.

    slow - Definitions from Dictionary.com

    By the way they give the same example that you used here.

    Anyway, as I'm neither a native speaker nor a teacher I don't know if it's common to use it as an adverb.
    Drive slow is common, at least in American English.

    Good post, anreak.



    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,425
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: drive slow or drive slowly?

    slow
    adverb :at a slow speed

    I can't walk any slower.
    slow-moving traffic
    a slow-burning candle
    Amer.Eng.: He drives too slow!


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 1,571
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: drive slow or drive slowly?

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    slow
    adverb :at a slow speed

    I can't walk any slower.
    slow-moving traffic
    a slow-burning candle
    Amer.Eng.: He drives too slow!
    Excuse me, if 'slow' is an adverb what is 'slowly'?

  3. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: drive slow or drive slowly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Excuse me, if 'slow' is an adverb what is 'slowly'?
    It's also an adverb.

Similar Threads

  1. slow vs slowly
    By thomasRavenelli in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Dec-2007, 09:08
  2. drive away, drive off
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2007, 14:25
  3. Slow and slowly as adverb
    By JunieNg in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2005, 10:12
  4. condition/concession
    By ruofei in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-May-2005, 14:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •