Post Thanks / Like

Non-native speaker?

Hey!

Is it difficult for a non-native speaker of English to get a teaching job, even if they are as good as native? I'm very keen on taking the CELTA in Istanbul this summer, and perhaps work there in the future, or summerbreaks, after finishing my degree here in UK.

Anyone who has taken the CELTA in Istanbul? I'm in desperate need for advice!

Lisa

oregeezer is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Non-native speaker?

In Asia one of the reasons for hiring "native speakers" is to get inflection, melody and CULTURE from the countrty of origin. With a European cultural background and good ability in English you should fit the bill just as well. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Non-native speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by li.sa View Post
    Hey!

Is it difficult for a non-native speaker of English to get a teaching job, even if they are as good as native? I'm very keen on taking the CELTA in Istanbul this summer, and perhaps work there in the future, or summerbreaks, after finishing my degree here in UK.

Anyone who has taken the CELTA in Istanbul? I'm in desperate need for advice!

Lisa
    Many recruiters want to see a picture first. If you look like a typical Swede, (blonde hair, blue eyes, fair skin - I'm stereotyping) you won't have a problem. If you are an immigrant with darker skin, you might have difficulties.

Finish your degree and CELTA first, if you want an edge as a fulltime English teacher. Many jobs require 1-year committments. However, you can get some experience at summer camps while still in school. Korea, Taiwan, and Mainland China are good sources of camp jobs, and perhaps you have leads in Turkey, as well.

Live your dream. English teaching is a fascinating way to see the world. good luck!