Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default "The" Europe's/Russia's/America's biggest company

    Hi everyone!
    Can you please say which sentence is correct:
    i) It is one of Europe's biggest corporations.
    ii) It is one of the Europe's biggest corporations.

    Do we need to use the definite article before "Europe" to form the superlative degree of an adjective "big" or should we omit it? If so, could you explain please.

    Thanking you in advance.

    All the best,
    Maria

  2. #2
    2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "The" Europe's/Russia's/America's biggest company

    Quote Originally Posted by MashUK View Post
    Hi everyone!
    Can you please say which sentence is correct:
    i) It is one of Europe's biggest corporations.
    ii) It is one of the Europe's biggest corporations.

    Do we need to use the definite article before "Europe" to form the superlative degree of an adjective "big" or should we omit it? No, we don't say '...the Europe...', but in addition to the sentence above we can also say the following:

    It's one of the biggest corporations in Europe.
    It's one of the biggest European corporations.

    All the best,
    Maria
    2006

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "The" Europe's/Russia's/America's biggest company

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    2006
    Thank you. Just because we don't use "the" before names of continents, countries and cities, right?

    All the best,
    Mariya

  4. #4
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "The" Europe's/Russia's/America's biggest company

    Quote Originally Posted by MashUK View Post
    Thank you. Just because we don't use "the" before names of continents, countries and cities, right?

    All the best,
    Mariya
    Hi,
    Not exactly, for example we say "The USA", "The UK", etc.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "The" Europe's/Russia's/America's biggest company

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Hi,
    Not exactly, for example we say "The USA", "The UK", etc.
    The Ukraine, the Netherlands....there are definitely some exceptions for each rule

  6. #6
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "The" Europe's/Russia's/America's biggest company

    Quote Originally Posted by MashUK View Post
    The Ukraine, the Netherlands....there are definitely some exceptions for each rule
    There are indeed!

  7. #7
    tzfujimino's Avatar
    tzfujimino is online now Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,684
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "The" Europe's/Russia's/America's biggest company

    Quote Originally Posted by MashUK View Post
    Hi everyone!
    Can you please say which sentence is correct:
    i) It is one of Europe's biggest corporations.
    ii) It is one of the Europe's biggest corporations.

    Do we need to use the definite article before "Europe" to form the superlative degree of an adjective "big" or should we omit it? If so, could you explain please.

    Thanking you in advance.

    All the best,
    Maria

    Hi.

    I think "Europe's"(possessive pronoun) serves like the definite article. That's why "the" is not needed here.(in my opinion)

    This is one of his best songs. OK
    This is one of the his best songs. NOT OK

    I'm not a native speaker of English, so if I'm wrong, please forgive me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "The" Europe's/Russia's/America's biggest company

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    Hi.

    I think "Europe's"(possessive pronoun) serves like the definite article. That's why "the" is not needed here.(in my opinion)

    This is one of his best songs. OK
    This is one of the his best songs. NOT OK

    I'm not a native speaker of English, so if I'm wrong, please forgive me.

    Cool
    Sounds like a reasonable explanation!!
    Thanks a million
    P.S. Though "Europe's" is not a possessive pronoun but a noun used in the possessive case.

    All the best!

Similar Threads

  1. Company core values
    By rodrimuino in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2007, 01:33
  2. "on its own"
    By pink dragon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-Jul-2007, 09:56
  3. the biggest number, most, etc.
    By jirikoo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-Jul-2007, 15:14
  4. I Need Help Woth This One Too
    By sw33tv in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Apr-2007, 03:24
  5. Tourism company
    By Petar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Feb-2006, 15:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •