Post Thanks / Like

Question Company QEHS Policy

Hi,

I need help on the finalization of our company Quality, Environmental, Health & Safety Policy.
    My colleague has proposed the following:
    As one of the leading manufacturers of die-casting and precision machining, Altum Precision is committed to provide Quality Products & Services in an Environmental friendly, safety and healthy work environment that will conform to meet the specifications and requirements of our customers as well as statutory & regulatory requirements.
    I have proposed what is below, as we only manufacture & sell cast & machined parts & we do not offer services such as machining or casting. Further, i believe that "will conform" implies that we may not be conforming now. Statutory & regulatory requirements means only those laws that are enacted, not the guidelines outlined by the statutory bodies which we would be required to comply to, to be certified for ISO 14000, or OSHA 18000.
    As a leading manufacturer of precision die-cast & machined components, Altum Precision is committed to providing quality products & service in an environmentally friendly, safe & healthy work environment that conforms to the specifications & requirements of our customers, as well as, requirements of statutory & regulatory bodies.
    I welcome comments from competent individuals who can provide a good analysis of the 2 statements.

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Company QEHS Policy

What about?
    As one of the leading manufacturers of die-cast, precision machine parts, Altum Precision is committed to providing quality products and services in an environmentally friendly, safe and healthy work environment that meet our customers' specifications and requirements, and comply with (the) statutory and regulatory requirements for ISO 14000 / OSHA 18000.

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As one of the leading manufacturers of die-cast, precision machine parts, Altum Precision is committed to providing quality products and services that meet customer specifications and requirements. Based in an environmentally friendly, safe, and healthy work setting, Altum Precision complies with all current statutory and regulatory standards.

I would not list the ISO and OSHA particulars, since they could change at any time.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh what fun. I just helped write a mission statement at work yesterday.

As one of the leading manufacturers of die-cast, precision machine parts, Altum Precision is committed to providing quality products and services in an environmentally friendly, safe and healthy work environment that meet our customers' specifications and requirements, and comply with (the) statutory and regulatory requirements for ISO 14000 / OSHA 18000.

The problem here is that the customers do not specify your work environment. They care about the quality of the products.

As one of the leading manufacturers of die-cast, precision machine parts, Altum Precision is committed to providing quality products and services that meet our customers' specifications in an environmentally friendly, safe and healthy work environment that complies with all regulatory requirements.

If you don't mind my saying so, this is a bit weak. You meet exactly the requirements, but it doesn't say anything about striving to do more.

Does your company actively seek to improve? To exceed your customers' requirements, to have a work environment in which no one gets hurt, to seek ways to reduce your impact on the environment?

That would be a lot more powerful than saying "we do what we're contracted to do by our customers and required to do by law."

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Barb

You've edited my edit--which is fab, but you may want to take a stab at the poster's work (See post #1) as his may provide some of the answers to the questions you've asked.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I did, but I thought your rewrite was better - excepting that it's the quality bits from the customer and the EH&S from the law.

I wasn't clear from the phrasing that the ISO/OHSAS certs were an active goal - and whether there were quatlity standard (ISO 9001?) to be met as well.

My other comments weren't grammatical consulting - they were more along the lines of "is this all you want to stand for?"

Now that I think about it, all of those do require continuous improvement as a part of the cert (or they did in the versions I knew), so maybe it would be more powerful to say that they stive to attain the industry certifications (if they don't have them already) in quality, health and safety, and enviromental responisbility that demonstrate that they are top-tier in meeting and exceeding their responsibilties to their clients, their employees, and the planet.