Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: off and running

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 19
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    off and running

    Although the OSI ideology was initially promoted in the hacker community, upon Netscape’s release of Navigator’s source code, programmers from all walks of life began to offer suggestions and fixes to improve the browser’s performance. The OSI mission was off and running, as the mainstream computing world began to embrace the idea.


    What does off and running mean?


    Thanks.

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: off and running

    off and running = functioning well without impediments


  2. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,513
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: off and running

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    off and running = functioning well without impediments

    I agree, "started and doing well".
    Ron, just by the way, why is the reputation of yours disabled?
    There is no way of using an avatar icon from other source than our site?

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: off and running

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    I agree, "started and doing well".
    Ron, just by the way, why is the reputation of yours disabled?
    I don't know how that happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    There is no way of using an avatar icon from other source than our site?
    Yes, there is. In fact, some on this site have done so. You can even use your own picture as an avatar. (At least one person has done that.)


    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 19
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: off and running (what about this one)

    Chris De Burgh - Sailor Lyrics
    Underneath a silver moon, the ship is like a ghost,
    She's been out there for a week, just waiting for the wind to blow,
    But now she's off and running, and there's nothing I can do,
    'Cos I am just a prisoner here until this war is through,
    And I'm singing,

    Sailor, can you hear me,
    Sailor, hear my call,
    Sailor, take me with you,
    Sailor, take me home...

    thanks.

  4. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: off and running (what about this one)

    Quote Originally Posted by ehsanshekari View Post
    Chris De Burgh - Sailor Lyrics
    Underneath a silver moon, the ship is like a ghost,
    She's been out there for a week, just waiting for the wind to blow,
    But now she's off and running, and there's nothing I can do,
    'Cos I am just a prisoner here until this war is through,
    And I'm singing,

    Sailor, can you hear me,
    Sailor, hear my call,
    Sailor, take me with you,
    Sailor, take me home...

    thanks.
    The ship was waiting for power, wind, and now that the wind has come, she, the ship, is off (has started to move) and is now sailing (is moving, running). This idiom off and running comes from sports, e.g., a relay race.

    off and running - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •