Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone

I'd like to ask if the phrases "thank you in advance", "thank you in advance for your cooperation" and the like are common for native English speakers in business writing, informal writing etc. In Russia, there are a lot of discussions among russian translators about this... Some of them say, "In classical business English writing the phrase 'thank you in advance' is never used because it is impolite, it's bad influence of spaniards, russians etc. On the other hand, some people say that this phrase in OK in English and that they see native English speakers/writers use this phrase. So I'm a little confused with these different opinions...

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone

I'd like to ask if the phrases "thank you in advance", "thank you in advance for your cooperation" and the like are common for native English speakers in business writing, informal writing etc. In Russia, there are a lot of discussions among russian translators about this... Some of them say, On the other hand, some people say that this phrase in OK in English and that they see native English speakers/writers use this phrase. So I'm a little confused with these different opinions...
There are no facts but opinions. As far as I am concerned, this statament appeals more to me.
"In classical business English writing the phrase 'thank you in advance' is never used because it is impolite, it's bad influence of spaniards, russians etc."
Be assured though that you are gonna hear different opinions.;-)

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
On the other hand, some people say that this phrase in OK in English and that they see native English speakers/writers use this phrase. So I'm a little confused with these different opinions...
I have noticed that some members on this forum use the closing quite a bit. At first, I thought it wasn't English--I had never seen it before, and I have taught Business English for the past 15 years.

The following is from Phyllis Taufen, an associate professor of English who teaches business communications at Gonzaga University's School of Business Administration. Excerpted from"Writing for business" By Phyllis Taufen, contributing columnist (Reprinted Journal of Business May 21, 1998)
These same experts suggest never "thanking in advance." They say it presumes too much and puts me receiver under pressure. So give your reader a choice. Then say thank you after the deed has been done. Or just say "thank you" without the "in advance."
This from Brian Konradt at http://www.LousyWriter.com:
DON’T get trite. Avoid typical cliché endings like “Thank you in advance...” or “Please do not hesitate to call...”; this ends the business letter on a weak note. Be as direct and creative as possible without falling prey to typical business language.
This from Eric Wolfram at Eric Wolfram's Writing : Your Dance Resume : The Cover Letter:
Appreciation paragraph:
Most directors and choreographers are extremely busy, and it is a matter of courtesy to express your appreciation for the time they are taking to review your audition material. See the sample cover letters for some closing paragraph examples. Try to avoid the words "thank you in advance for...." Thank the director for reading the cover letter or for considering you for an audition, or simply thank him or her.
This from 'Supplemental Business & Professional Writing Guide: The Seven Cs of Business Letter Writing':

Make sure you avoid using weak phrases and overused business phrases in your closing paragraph.
  • Thanking you for your...
  • Hoping for a prompt reply...
  • Thanking you in advance for your assistance...
  • Trusting this answers your questions...
  • Please do not hesitate to contact me
  • I trust this clarifies the situation http://josephbosco.com/student/class/editxz.doc

Status
Not open for further replies.