• Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Kindly check my para

The court had deferred hearing on the bail application for Tuesday. The chances are very bleak that court will remand Dr. Rajesh in the Police custody as Police do not have evidence with it. The police had arrested Dr. Rajesh, a dentist, for allegedly killing his 14-year-old daughter and domestic help.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kindly check my para

The court had deferred hearing on the bail application

What sentence went before this? I ask, because I am trying to understand why you are using past perfect tense.

for Tuesday.
    Do you mean it was originally set for Tuesday, but deferred; or deferred, and reset for next Tuesday?

The chances are very bleak
    'prospects' may be bleak, but I think the better choice of word is 'slim' or some such.

that the court will remand Dr. Rajesh in (the-omit) police custody

as Police do not have evidence with it.
    as there is insufficient evidence.

The police had arrested Dr. Rajesh, a dentist, for allegedly killing his 14-year-old daughter, and domestic help.

Without the comma, it reads as if his daughter had the role in the home of 'domestic help'. The comma makes it a little clearer that there are two people ...but 'for allegedly killing both his .... , and domestic help.' makes it crystal clear.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post

What sentence went before this? I ask, because I am trying to understand why you are using past perfect tense.

for Tuesday.
    Do you mean it was originally set for Tuesday, but deferred; or deferred, and reset for next Tuesday?

The chances are very bleak
    'prospects' may be bleak, but I think the better choice of word is 'slim' or some such.

as Police do not have evidence with it.
    as there is insufficient evidence.

The police had arrested Dr. Rajesh, a dentist, for allegedly killing his 14-year-old daughter, and domestic help.

Without the comma, it reads as if his daughter had the role in the home of 'domestic help'. The comma makes it a little clearer that there are two people ...but 'for allegedly killing both his .... , and domestic help.' makes it crystal clear.
    Thanks David for such a wonderful explanation not just about grammar and punctuation and also for the choices of words.

I started with past tense because the first hearing was on monday I think rather than Past tense I should use present tense. so I had committed tense-mistake too

My retake:

The court defers the hearing for bail application on Monday to Tuesday. The chances are slim that the court will remand Dr. Rajesh in Police custody as they do not have sufficient evidence to prove that he committed the heinous murders. The police had arrested Dr. Rajesh, a dentist, for allegedly killing his 14-year-old daughter, and domestic help.

Kindly also explain:

Why to delete 'the' from here I generally get confused to use article or not to be on safer side I use it

• Post Thanks / Like

The court defers the hearing for bail application on Monday to Tuesday. The chances are slim that the court will remand Dr. Rajesh...

I would use past tense.

Let's go back. You originally tried:

Starting the sentence like this (with no information in some preceding sentence), the reader would expect that this 'deferment' occurred prior to something else also in the past. eg.
    The court had deferred hearing on the bail application till Monday, but this was postponed till the Tuesday.
    However, in your original, your next sentence has no bearing on the tense of the first sentence, so past tense would he correct:
    The court deferred hearing on the bail application. The chances are slim that...

"The court defers the hearing..." This sounds like a verbal announcement by the speaker and so the rest of the paragraph would also be part of that announcement. Yet the sense is, the deferment of the bail hearing has already been announced; and the rest of the paragraph is a comment on that news.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    The court defers the hearing for bail application on Monday to Tuesday. The chances are slim that the court will remand Dr. Rajesh...

I would use past tense.

Let's go back. You originally tried:

Starting the sentence like this (with no information in some preceding sentence), the reader would expect that this 'deferment' occurred prior to something else happening also in the past. eg.
    The court had deferred hearing on the bail application till Monday, but this was postponed till the Tuesday.
    However, in your original, your next sentence has no bearing on the tense of the first sentence, so past tense would he correct:
    The court deferred hearing on the bail application. The chances are slim that...

"The court defers the hearing..." This sounds like a verbal announcement by the speaker and so the rest of the paragraph would also be part of that announcement. Yet the sense is, the deferment of the bail hearing has already been announced; and the rest of the paragraph is a comment on that news.

Actually, as I read the intended meaning of the paragraph more carefully, it is confusing.
    1. If there is a bail application, then the good doctor is being held in remand.
    2. If the bail application hearing has been deferred, then the doctor will continue to be held in remand.
    Before I go further with this post, let me check: is that the way things work in your legal system?
    Or is it, that I'm charged with murder, but let go free until a hearing to decide whether I should be held in remand or released but on bail?
    Thanks David for your kind explanation. The legal system works like this – once police completes its investigation and nails down the suspects they take them into custody and put them behind the bars till they are produced in the court, it might take a day or two for the police to file charge sheet and follow other formalities and apply the application in the court. In the court, when hearing comes up, the police have to present all the evidence to prove its point that the suspect(s) is guilty. Even the defense lawyer puts his point. Then the court pronounces its judgment for the bail application after scrutinizing the evidences and hearing the viewpoints from both the parties. Court can send the suspects into custody for three days or may be 30 days it depends. Hereafter legally police starts the investigation, and is legitimate to question the suspects and carry further their investigation. If court is not satisfied with police investigation it might set the suspects free and transfer the case to CBI for in-depth investigation.

I tried to explanation you everything, I hope you get what you wanted to know. In the process it was great exercise for me. So I humbly request you kindly point out my mistakes if any in the above para

Thanks

• Post Thanks / Like

The legal system works like this: once police have completed their investigation and arrested the suspects, they take them into custody

and put them behind the bars :omit this. 'custody' implies they are in a police cell, not put up at the local Hilton. Also, the expression is, 'put them behind bars' - they could be any old bars, not bars you have previously mentioned and so now refer to as 'the bars'.

till they are produced in the court, : this is what we might say about documents, or items entered into evidence and produced in the court as the trial progresses. Of defendants, we say 'they appear in court'

UP TO HEAR - back soon
    it might take a day or two for the police to file charge sheet and follow other formalities and apply the application in the court. In the court, when hearing comes up, the police have to present all the evidence to prove its point that the suspect(s) is guilty. Even the defense lawyer puts his point. Then the court pronounces its judgment for the bail application after scrutinizing the evidences and hearing the viewpoints from both the parties. Court can send the suspects into custody for three days or may be 30 days it depends. Hereafter legally police starts the investigation, and is legitimate to question the suspects and carry further their investigation. If court is not satisfied with police investigation it might set the suspects free and transfer the case to CBI for in-depth investigation.