Thread: name oneself

nimsooze is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default name oneself

"Human subject who could name themselves with any assurance , would experience no need to revolt in the first place."
    What does mean " name themselves with any assurance"?Is it idiomatic?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: name oneself

The problem with your questions is that you are giving us one sentence at a time from an extensive exposition of post-modernism. We therefore lack the context which will enable us to interpret them.

If at all possible, it will be a great help if you can try to provide the paragraph in which the sentence appears.

Post Thanks / Like

...and be aware that even when we can give meaning to a sentence, most of us would end the paragraph and think, what the hell is he talking about!?
    So just how well you are assimilating this abstruse writing...

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with giving more context, but what matters for me Anglika is not a sharp and definite meaning, it is your first impression. I appreciate seeing your first reaction to a single sentence but I think that you want to cut my threads with one single answer.Please be patient with me and let my threads be continued with a kind of "step-by-step more context" style.
    sincerely yours

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nimsooze View Post
    I have no problem with giving more context, but what matters for me Anglika is not a sharp and definite meaning, it is your first impression. I appreciate seeing your first reaction to a single sentence but I think that you want to cut my threads with one single answer.Please be patient with me and let my threads be continued with a kind of "step-by-step more context" style.
    sincerely yours
    In this instance, it is not possible to do this. The text is a closely written study of a very complex philosophical topic, and you cannot just take a sentence out and say what does it mean. It is a pointless exercise. My first impression would largely be "This is nonsense" since there is so much preceding information that is required to make sense of each point being made.

I do not want to give you "a single answer". I would like to be able to give you a reasoned answer that gives you insight into the meaning of the sentences.

You have posted a number of these, and so far have not had replies. We really do want to be able to help, but you must be prepared to work with us.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    So just how well you are assimilating this abstruse writing...
    Hey, I learned a new word today, so this thread was beneficial for someone!

Post Thanks / Like

"It is our rullers who do not need to identify themselves with any certainty because they falsely assume that they know precisely who they are. A reasonably secure identity, as against a paranoically cohesive one, is a necessary condition of human well-being, and those postmodernists who fail to mention this fact, are being morally irresponsible. Neither a subject which cannot name itself at all, nor one which can name itself only too well, is likely to be an effective agent of social transformation."
    Ok, now:
    1. What does "name oneself" mean? '
    2. What does " to identify themselves with any certainty" mean? Is it a single phrase or must it be rewrited as " to identify themselves , with any certainty" ?

MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nimsooze View Post
    "It is our rullers who do not need to identify themselves with any certainty because they falsely assume that they know precisely who they are. A reasonably secure identity, as against a paranoically cohesive one, is a necessary condition of human well-being, and those postmodernists who fail to mention this fact, are being morally irresponsible. Neither a subject which cannot name itself at all, nor one which can name itself only too well, is likely to be an effective agent of social transformation."
    Ok, now:
    1. What does "name oneself" mean? '
    2. What does " to identify themselves with any certainty" mean? Is it a single phrase or must it be rewrited as " to identify themselves , with any certainty" ?
    Only guesses, but:

1. I think "to name oneself" here is roughly equivalent to "to define who one is and what one's place in the social structure is". Thus if we "cannot name ourselves at all", we are unable to attribute an identity to ourselves; whereas if we can "name ourselves only too well", we are embedded too securely in the social structure.

2. "To identify themselves in a reasonably conclusive way."

All the best,

MrP

Not a professional ESL teacher.