Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Is is a correct sentence

    Hi,
    I have a little confusion with the below sentences
    If we say, "I am home" it's the correct sentence in a similar manner can
    we say "I am office"? but usually I hear people saying "I am at office"
    Which one is the correct sentence and why?
    Please guide me on this
    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    shalstudent's Avatar
    shalstudent is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is is a correct sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    Hi,
    I have a little confusion with the below sentences
    If we say, "I am home" it's the correct sentence in a similar manner can
    we say "I am office"? but usually I hear people saying "I am at office"
    Which one is the correct sentence and why?
    Please guide me on this
    Thanks in advance!
    ((Not a teacher))

    People usually say, "I am home" which means to say, "I have reached home."

    But you have to say, "I am at home" to the question, "Where are you?"

    Hence, I am home means that I have reached home from work/from somewhere else.

    I am at office and I am at home to be used for the question: "where are you?"

    Hope the above clarifies.

  3. #3
    banderas's Avatar
    banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is is a correct sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by shalstudent View Post

    People usually say, "I am home" which means to say, "I have reached home."

    But you have to say, "I am at home" to the question, "Where are you?"

    Hence, I am home means that I have reached home from work/from somewhere else.

    I am at office and I am at home to be used for the question: "where are you?"
    I agree,
    I am at home=I have been at home for some time.
    I am home=I have come home.
    But you get/come to the office, not get/come office.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is is a correct sentence

    If we say, "I am home" it's the correct sentence in a similar manner can
    we say "I am office"? but usually I hear people saying "I am at office"


    "I am home" is mostly short for "I am at home.", similar to, "I am at the office."
    However, if someone rings you on your mobile, so they have no idea where you may or may not be, and they ask, Where are you?, you might reply with either: the more casual, "I'm home", or "I'm at home."
    This does not apply to office etc , where it is "at the doctor's", "at the office', "at the cinema".

  5. #5
    rj1948 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is is a correct sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    Hi,
    I have a little confusion with the below sentences
    If we say, "I am home" it's the correct sentence in a similar manner can
    we say "I am office"? but usually I hear people saying "I am at office"
    Which one is the correct sentence and why?
    Please guide me on this
    Thanks in advance!
    In cricket,if a batsman takes a run before the stumps are broken,he is home.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is is a correct sentence

    Well, I am very thankful to all of you for those replies
    I am sure you guys are having some explanation for why we say "I am going home" and not "I am going to home" as we can say " I am going to the office"

  7. #7
    cisco795 is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is is a correct sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    Well, I am very thankful to all of you for those replies
    I am sure you guys are having some explanation for why we say "I am going home" and not "I am going to home" as we can say " I am going to the office"
    HOME: Noun, Adjective, Adverb.
    Office: Noun

    "I am going home" it is correct. The adverb "home" is modifying the verb "going". Whereas in "I am going to the office" the preposition "to" introduces the noun phrase "the office". Also "to the office" works as an adverd that modifies the verb "going" explaining where "I am going".

    "I am sure you guys HAVE some explanation..."

    God bless you and have a great day.
    Cisco795.

Similar Threads

  1. help correct my sentence
    By esophea in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2010, 18:23
  2. Is this sentence correct?
    By snade17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-Mar-2009, 01:12
  3. correct sentence
    By shaukat mahmood in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Oct-2006, 18:30
  4. Is the sentence correct?
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2006, 22:51
  5. grammar
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 20:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •