• Post Thanks / Like

Difficult children

Hello!

I need help with some kids I'm working with. They are almost impossible to teach: They are in 2º grade, but 2 of them still don't know how to read, 6 of them have serious learning dissabilities, 3 are extremely agressive (I've been told not to contradict them or I may get hurt... and they are 6 years old!) and the rest doesn't work for more than 15 minutes.

Resign is not an option. If somebody has any ideas of extremely interesting classes (will are in seeing Family trees, possesions and that kind of stuff), or a web page with the master secret of how to teach such people, I'll be delighted to know.

I thought in divide them into 3 or 4 groups, mixing good students with not so good ones, and try to praise them with candies or balloons if they work well, but I'm not sure if that would work.

Thank you all.

This is my first post
    and I'm a first-time teacher (in a bad school, it's not my imagination! No teacher lasts here for more than 2 months).

Well.... HELP!!

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Difficult children

Te acompaño en el sentimiento
    (My condolences).

I'm sorry, my post won't help you much; but I didn't want yours to go unanswered.

On a lighter note, maybe you posted it in the wrong forum mate. This one is "Ask a teacher".

Try in the "Miracles" section.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BravoAl View Post
    Hello!

I need help with some kids I'm working with. They are almost impossible to teach: They are in 2º grade, but 2 of them still don't know how to read, 6 of them have serious learning dissabilities, 3 are extremely agressive (I've been told not to contradict them or I may get hurt... and they are 6 years old!) and the rest doesn't work for more than 15 minutes.

Resign is not an option. If somebody has any ideas of extremely interesting classes (will are in seeing Family trees, possesions and that kind of stuff), or a web page with the master secret of how to teach such people, I'll be delighted to know.

I thought in divide them into 3 or 4 groups, mixing good students with not so good ones, and try to praise them with candies or balloons if they work well, but I'm not sure if that would work.

Thank you all.

This is my first post
    and I'm a first-time teacher (in a bad school, it's not my imagination! No teacher lasts here for more than 2 months).

Well.... HELP!!
    Hi,
    I am very sorry for your problems, I don't have any advice for you personally but you might try this website;
    Inspiring Education Professionals | Teaching Expertise (unless you already have of course.)

• Post Thanks / Like

Not wishing to hijack the topic but it may help if someone could share a website URL with dealing with problem behaviour. I read a good one sometime ago which broke down many of the common child learner problems and how they show them in class, along with how to deal with them but can't now find it!

Mak

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

• Post Thanks / Like

given them an incentive or a prize so they'll listen.....:D

• Post Thanks / Like

Well you certainly have your work cut out for you. It's a difficult topic to pin down but I have a few tips as I have had quite a few classes such as yours:

(1) Look up teacher's tv on the net, they have great videos where an 'expert' shadows a teacher with many problems like yours, provides advice and then shadows as they implement the new advice

(2) Watch Supernanny if you can. No joke either. The strategies she applies with the families are perfect for the classroom too.

(3) As for the kids who can't read, make sure they are always paired up with a 'reader' if they are doing classwork. You may need to do some practice sessions during break time so they can have practice being reading buddies. You can even have little badges that you give out at the beginning of every week to those who will help someone if they dont know how to read something. When you are establishing ANY procedure, recognise that it takes time and practice. So, if you use the reading helpers badges and someone in class asks for you to read something...say aloud 'Who can I go to if I dont know how to read something?'...ask the students for their ideas.

(4) Rewards...stay away from the gifts is my advice..unless you have funding to do so, but even still NEVER start off with gifts, because if and when they do get better, you will need to reward them with something better.

(5) Use some classes to establish rules - if they are too unruly to do it, then draw them up beforehand, discuss them and ask for their input. Pictures are great for this. And use rules that tell students what they should be doing e.g. use a classroom voice (which needs a poster in itself as you need to establish classroom voices, playground voices, working in groups voices) instead of Do not shout, or 'Put your rubbish in the bin' instead of Do not make a mess.

There are many things I would like to share, but I'll share one more.
    (6) Consistency is what counts. Be firm and fair and it may take you a month or so to establish this. Students need to know what will happen if they break the rules as well as what will happen if they are good. Children LOVE routines, so establish a procedure for every movement or procedure in the classroom and practice it again and again. If someone is misbehaving (and it depends on the severity of the misbehaviour), start praising loudly those students that are behaving - thank you Brian, you are woeking so quietly. If you give stars or stickers try and give it for consistent good behaviour or an extra kind act. If you could find a story to start your day re: behaviour it might set a tone - use the story all week or even for 2 weeks as discussion. And of course, have a procedure established before for how to ask a question.

Advice re: kids with aggressive behaviour - sorry I dont know much here but for the kids that I have known with this behaviour - it is 'learned' to get attention and if they have a bad temper, it's flaired up even more by whatever is happening in their life. Realise that you will probably not win them over in a day or a month, but being consistent with praising them for ANYTHING good they do (just a quick praise) and making sure the work is appropriate for them as this often frustrates them further - either it's too easy or too hard.

Hope it helps. If you need to chat more about anything in particular, I think you can send a private message.

• Post Thanks / Like

If I were in your shoes, what I'll do is...number one be very patient and have an outlet to express my stress, then I will use things like colorful images or something that might awaken their interest to listen, and if they do I will have a prize to those who actively participate. Or incorporate games to your lessons. I hope this helps... Best of luck