• Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The operation - part two Short story

A young and attractive nurse welcomed me to the ward. She sat opposite me at the table and when she leant over a sheet of paper I saw her cleavage. She gazed at me with her big blue eyes and asked me if I had someone, either a relative or a friend here who the doctors could contact in the case something goes wrong. When my answer was NO, she was astonished. She repeated her question once more probably believing I had not understand her well but my answer was the same. Then she fixed her eyes on the form in front of her. She wanted at any price to fill the empty square reserved for "family."

"You must have someone, a friend, or some person who you know well?"
    Her persistent questioning had open a wound in my soul. I wanted to cry and howl of the intense pain that shot up inside me. My life was worse then in a prison. At least in a prison one talked to the guards and other fellow prisoners while I was talking to the always silent walls. I was surrounded with people but they treated me as if I were invisible. They walked with their dogs and cats, gathered their excrements, told them some words of encouragement and continued their walk patting and hugging their animals so friendly that I wished I was a pet. In this country I had seen many homeless people but I never saw a single stray dog. My spontaneous reaction was that they like more animals then humans.
    Now and then I read in the papers about old men and women who lay dead in their flats for months while maggots ate their bodies and I knew that I was also going to be one of them. I knew that in this country one can writhe in pain and suffer day after day but people simply do not care. I really envied dogs and other pets...

She was very disappointed, I saw her pert breasts heaving with her deep breath. The computer probably would not accept that empty square. It would make the whole system collapse because in this country everything was already carefully planed. Even if you are the loneliest person on the earth you have to to keep a mask. Think if everyone would admit their loneliness. The country would collapse within months. I knew what she was thinking, "This bloody immigrant!" Whenever they come they make a mass!"
    The ward was big and airy. There was a lounge with the television, comfortable sofas and cushioned chairs. There were shelves with books and all kind of parlour games and jigsaws. The dinning room had an exist on to the balcony from which one could see almost the whole city.
    I shared the room with an older but vital and talkative man. He suffered from a brain tumour and hopped that the doctors would help him and relieve his pain. He knew that the operation was risky. They had given him about 50% chances to survive. We both had some days in front of us in which they would examine our bodies properly, gather all data and prepare us for the final operation.

To be continued...

ohmyrichard is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: The operation - part two Short story

I'm eagerly waiting for the remainder of the short story. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Operation - part two Short story

Hello Bassim

A young and attractive nurse welcomed me to the ward. She sat at the table opposite me and when she leaned forward over the sheet of paper in front of her I could see her cleavage. She gazed at me with big blue eyes and asked me if I had someone, either a relative or a friend in Sweden, who the doctors could contact in case of emergency. When I answered NO, she was astonished. She repeated her question once more, probably thinking that I had not understood her, but my answer was the same. Then she fixed her eyes on the form in front of her, she wanted at any price, to fill the empty square reserved for ‘family’.

"But you must have someone, a friend, or some person who you know well?" Her persistent questioning had opened a wound in my soul. I wanted to cry and howl with the intense pain that shot through me. My life was worse than living in a prison. At least in a prison one talked to the guards and fellow prisoners, while all I was able to do was talk to the silent walls. I was surrounded by people but they treated me as if I were invisible. They walked their dogs, their cats, gathered up the excrement, gave their pets words of encouragement and continued their walk patting and hugging their animals in such a kind and friendly way that it made me wish I were a pet.

In this country I had seen many homeless people but I had never seen a single stray dog. My natural reaction was to think that they like their animals more than they do humans. Now and then I read in the papers about old men and women who lay dead in their flats for months while maggots ate their bodies and I knew that this was what would happen to me. I knew that in this country one can writhe in pain and suffer day after day but people simply do not care. I truly envied the dogs and other pets...

She was disappointed; I saw her pert breasts heaving with each breath. The computer would probably not accept that empty square; it would make the whole system collapse because in this country everything was carefully planed, carefully ordered. Even if you were the loneliest person on earth you would have to keep up the pretence, just think of it, if everyone admitted their loneliness, their aloneness, the system could simply not allow it! The country would collapse within months. I knew what she was thinking, "This bloody immigrant! Wherever they go they make a mess!"

The ward was large and airy. There was a lounge with television, comfortable sofas and cushioned chairs. There were shelves full of [trashy] books and all sorts of parlour games and jigsaws. The dinning room had access onto a balcony from which one could see almost across the whole city.
    I shared a room with an older but lively and talkative man. He suffered from a brain tumour and hopped that the doctors could help him and alleviate his pain. He knew that the operation was risky. They had given him a fifty percent chance of success. We had some days ahead of us in which they would examine us thoroughly, gather all their data and prepare us for the final operation.

it's very good!

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The operation - part two Short story

A young and attractive nurse welcomed me to the ward. She sat opposite me at the table and when she leant over a sheet of paper I saw her cleavage. She gazed at me with her big blue eyes and asked me if I had someone, either a relative or a friend here who the doctors could contact in the case something went wrong. When my answer was a resounding "NO", she was astonished. She repeated her question once more, probably believing I had not understood her well, but my answer was the same. She, then, fixed her eyes on the form in front of her, determined at any price to fill the empty square reserved for "family."

"You must have someone, a friend, or some person who you know well?"

Her persistent questioning had opened a wound in my soul. I wanted to cry and howl of the intense pain that shot up inside me. My life was worse than being in a prison. At least in a prison one could talk to the guards and other fellow prisoners; I talk to the always silent walls. I was surrounded with people but they treated me as if I were invisible. They walked with their dogs and cats, gathered their excrement, and gave them words of encouragement, and continued their walk, patting and hugging their animals so friendlily that I wished I actually was a pet. In this country I have seen many homeless people, but I have never seen a single stray dog. My immediate thought was these people like animals more than people.

Now and then, I read in the papers about old men and women who lay dead in their flats for months while maggots eat their bodies, and I knew I was going to be one of them. I knew that in this country one can writhe in pain and suffer day after day but people simply do not care. I really envied dogs and other pets ...

She was very disappointed; I saw her pert breasts heaving with her deep breath. The computer probably would not accept that empty square. It would make the whole system collapse--because in this country, everything is already carefully planned. Even if you are the loneliest person on the face of the earth, you have to keep a mask on. Imagine if everyone would admit their loneliness, the country would collapse within months. I knew what she was thinking, "This bloody immigrant!" Whenever they come, they make a mess/they screw things up!"

The ward was big and airy. There was a lounge with a television, comfortable sofas and cushioned chairs. There were shelves with books and all kinds of parlour games and jigsaw puzzles. The dinning room had an exit onto the balcony, from which one could see the whole city, almost.

I shared my room with an older but vital and talkative man. He suffered from a brain tumour and hopped that the doctors would help him and relieve his pain. He knew that the operation was risky. They had given him about a 50% chance of survival. We both had some days in front of us in which they would examine our bodies properly, gather all data and prepare us for the final operation.