Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it ok to start with "One way" or better "one possible method"??

Friends, check this short sentence, this is the last part of my my second draft . , any changes in order or sentence connection. Please!

One way to minimize the destructiveness of earthquakes have been developed in recent years by some early warning systems, but only to provide 10 seconds of warning before the earthquake.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is it ok to start with "One way" or better "one possible method"??

Quote Originally Posted by yrmacita View Post
    Friends, check this short sentence, this is the last part of my my second draft . , any changes in order or sentence connection. Please!

One way to minimize the destructiveness of earthquakes have been developed in recent years by some early warning systems, but only to provide 10 seconds of warning before the earthquake.
    You can start with either of those phrases.

However, you would need a singular verb to follow. Also, an early warning system will not do anything about the destructiveness of earthquakes.

My rephrasing:

One possible method of reducing the effect of an earthquake is the introduction of an early warning system, though at present only 10 seconds of warning about an impending earthquake are given.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is it ok to start with "One way" or better "one possible method"??

Thank you very much,