Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default vocabulary or vocabularies

i wanna ask about the difference between vocabulary and vocabularies, and fruit and fruits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: vocabulary or vocabularies

Quote Originally Posted by angel_catcher75 View Post
    i wanna ask about the difference between vocabulary and vocabularies, and fruit and fruits
    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...abularies.html

Post Thanks / Like

In a forum promoting the use of the English language, I personally cringe away from posts saying "I wanna..." This isn't your local teenage amusement arcade.
    Ughh.

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    In a forum promoting the use of the English language, I personally cringe away from posts saying "I wanna..." This isn't your local teenage amusement arcade.
    Ughh.
    Wanna? It's perfectly good ol' American English. I use it, write, and like it. You may not, but that's your own preference.
    Friday, April 27, 2001
    Don't know why, maybe 'cause it's late and I'm tired, but I wanna get semimental for just a minute and talk about my family. ~ George W. Bush

Post Thanks / Like

thank you so much so much Soup. i was just wondering what's wrong with it. i also wonder that sometimes people seem so rude in talking about things that they THINK is wrong opinions are not facts and we should learn how to respect opinions and not to judge people acording to the way we think but according to the facts

Clark is offline Key Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There are some words and forms that sound odd when they are used by a non-native speaker. I have nothing against 'wonna, gonna' when they come from the mouth of a native English speaker. But when a learner of English uses them it sounds funny, to put in mildly.

Snowcake is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    There are some words and forms that sound odd when they are used by a non-native speaker. I have nothing against 'wonna, gonna' when they come from the mouth of a native English speaker. But when a learner of English uses them it sounds funny, to put in mildly.
    Why make things unnecessarily hard for learners - especially for beginners?

That's not a helpful way to encourage learners, and reassure them, particularly when they don't feel confident enough with an appropriate usage of the foreign language.

Hmmm, I don't mean to start an argument. But: "It's not what you say, but the way you say it."

tzfujimino is online now Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcake View Post
    Why make things unnecessarily hard for learners - especially for beginners?

That's not a helpful way to encourage learners, and reassure them, particularly when they don't feel confident enough with an appropriate usage of the foreign language.

Hmmm, I don't mean to start an argument. But: "It's not what you say, but the way you say it."

I agree with you.
    I have absolutely no intention of starting an argument, either.
    I would just like to give my opinion here.
    Many non-native speakers visit this forum and ask many questions.
    Their English(including mine) might sound unnatural or odd to native speakers. If "wanna" is so unacceptable, why not tell the poster that he/she should use "want to" or "would like to" instead of "wanna"? What if the poster didn't know the proper way of expressing his/her wishes? What if "wanna" was the only way the poster knows? I'd like all members here in this forum to remember that most of us are non-native speakers.

Kraken is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, mate.

When someone is studying English and learns a new word, they want (even need) to use it now and then, to get used to it. Now, the connotations a word may have, are often hidden to our foreigner eyes.

I don't think wanna is rude. Colloquial maybe, but not "bad English" But how can I tell?
    Only I don't know whatever would happen if I handed a composition in those terms. Would I get congratulated or given a low assessment? I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Kraken; 30-May-2008 at 19:58. Reason: typo

jirikoo is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angel_catcher75 View Post
    Lets not get carried away.

Basically the noun "vocabulary" is an uncountable noun, which means that under normal circumstances it doesnt exist in a plural form. You cannot count it. One, two, three vocabularies. There is always the "but", though.

At certain point, some of uncountable nouns can be changed into countable nouns. In the case of "vocabulary" it would be pretty hard to imagine but fruit-fruits is a gleamy example. Speaking genarly, fruit is uncountable. If you have more pieces of fruit in front you talking about them , you can say: "These pieces of fruit...." or also "I will take the three fruits...." or "I will take a fruit" (if standing in front of a basket of fruit in a shop). Even native speakers (which Im not) mix this up. SOme of them dont even know that fruit is an uncountable noun not being to be used in the "fruits" form (in a general meaning).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast