Father'sEulogy is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My father's eulogy

I am constructing a card with a photo of my father as a young boy holding a rose in the garden and a picture of him at 80 standing in his garden (before his death) to be mailed soon, announcing his death. Inside the card will read "we come from the earth... we return to the earth and in between we garden." There is the bio of sorts that will go inside the card and it begins "Jack...XXXX" lived all of his 80 years to the fullest...
    But, this feels like an overstatement and I have had other ideas for this beginning sentence such as:
    Jack wholly enjoyed all of his eighty years..
    Jack revelled in all of his 80 years
    Jack rejoiced in all of his 80 years
    Jack relished all of his 80 years
    Jack savoured all of his 80 years
    Etc.

But, none of them really feel right. If the words "Jack lived all of his 80 years to the full" were gramatically correct I would use it as the introductory sentence. I like "to the full "better than to the fullest (which seems trite, and overstated somehow). Is there an expression for "to the full" that is gramatically correct?
    Thank you! for any and all suggestions in advance.
    Last edited by Father'sEulogy; 31-May-2008 at 19:19. Reason: More easily read

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My father's eulogy

Welcome to the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Father'sEulogy View Post
    I am constructing a card with a photo of my father as a young boy holding a rose in the garden and a picture of him at 80 standing in his garden (before his death) to be mailed soon, announcing his death. Inside the card will read "we come from the earth... we return to the earth and in between we garden." There is the bio of sorts that will go inside the card and it begins "Jack...XXXX" lived all of his 80 years to the fullest...
    But, this feels like an overstatement and I have had other ideas for this beginning sentence such as:

Jack wholly enjoyed all of his eighty years..
    Jack revelled in all of his 80 years
    Jack rejoiced in all of his 80 years
    Jack relished all of his 80 years
    Jack savoured all of his 80 years
    Etc.

But, none of them really feel right. If the words "Jack lived all of his 80 years to the full" were gramatically correct I would use it as the introductory sentence. I like "to the full "better than to the fullest (which seems trite, and overstated somehow). Is there an expression for "to the full" that is gramatically correct?
    Thank you! for any and all suggestions in advance.
    It is always of course difficult to suggest suitable phrases when the person is someone we don't know. How about "...lived a full life".

Another alternative:

Jack xxxx was a man who live his life in the fullest way. For the 80 years he was with us....