Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: pretty woman

  1. #1
    Nefertiti is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default pretty woman

    ”You're not the truth
    No one could look as good as you
    Mercy... “

    1. What does ‘mercy’ mean here? Is it common usage?


    “Pretty woman, won't you pardon me”


    2. Is it OK to say ‘will you pardon me’? Any difference?

    ”Pretty woman, look my way
    Pretty woman, say you'll stay with me”


    3. What does ‘look my way’ mean? Is it common usage?


    “Pretty woman, don't walk on by”


    4. What does ‘walk on by’ mean? Is it the same as ‘walk by’ in meaning?


    “If that's the way it must be, OK
    I guess I'll go on home, it's late
    There'll be tomorrow night”


    5. Is ‘I’ll go on home’ the same as ‘I’ll go home’ in meaning?




    Thanks




    Pretty Woman Lyrics

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: pretty woman

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    ”You're not the truth
    No one could look as good as you
    Mercy... “

    1. What does ‘mercy’ mean here? Is it common usage?
    There it is an exclamation. Like "Oh baby!"

  3. #3
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: pretty woman

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post

    “Pretty woman, won't you pardon me”


    2. Is it OK to say ‘will you pardon me’? Any difference?
    Yes, there is a difference. (Do you want to change the lyrics?)

    Those lyrics are a way of saying, "I hope I'm not going overboard."


  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: pretty woman

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    ”Pretty woman, look my way
    Pretty woman, say you'll stay with me”


    3. What does ‘look my way’ mean? Is it common usage?

    Common enough.


  5. #5
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: pretty woman

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post

    “Pretty woman, don't walk on by”


    4. What does ‘walk on by’ mean? Is it the same as ‘walk by’ in meaning?

    Close enough.


  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: pretty woman

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    5. Is ‘I’ll go on home’ the same as ‘I’ll go home’ in meaning?









    Pretty Woman Lyrics
    Yep.


  7. #7
    Nefertiti is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: pretty woman

    Hi RB.

    re 2.

    You wrote:
    'Yes, there is a difference. (Do you want to change the lyrics?)
    Those lyrics are a way of saying, "I hope I'm not going overboard.'

    No, I don't want to change the lyrics but what's the difference between the two 'will you pardon me' and 'won't you pardon me'?

    go overboard - to do or say something that is too extreme for a particular situation: (Longman dictionary) I hope politicians will not go overboard in trying to control the press.

    re 3
    What does 'look my way' mean? Can you give an example?

    Thanks for the reply.

  8. #8
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    21,667
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: pretty woman

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Hi RB.

    re 2.

    You wrote:
    'Yes, there is a difference. (Do you want to change the lyrics?)
    Those lyrics are a way of saying, "I hope I'm not going overboard.'

    No, I don't want to change the lyrics but what's the difference between the two 'will you pardon me' and 'won't you pardon me'?

    go overboard - to do or say something that is too extreme for a particular situation: (Longman dictionary) I hope politicians will not go overboard in trying to control the press.

    re 3
    What does 'look my way' mean? Can you give an example?

    Thanks for the reply.
    "Look my way" = Look in my direction/look at me.

    "Will you pardon me?/Won't you pardon me?"; essentially the same.
    "Won't you pardon me?" = Will you not pardon me?, perhaps a bit more insistant than "Will you pardon me?".

Similar Threads

  1. Pretty vs pretty
    By Jgap in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-Dec-2007, 21:18
  2. Someone Please?
    By Need Help :'( in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2006, 13:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk