Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: replacement

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 696
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    replacement

    Hello everyone

    I'd like to ask if it's correct to use replacement in the following sentence:

    Substantial expenses for repair are explained by the fact that some parts of equipment need several replacement during the year due to high wear and tear.
    The intended meaning is that some parts need to be changed several times during the year due to high wear and tear.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,079
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone

    I'd like to ask if it's correct to use replacement in the following sentence:

    Substantial expenses for repair are explained by the fact that some parts of equipment need several replacement during the year due to high wear and tear.
    The intended meaning is that some parts need to be changed several times during the year due to high wear and tear.


    Substantial expenses for repair are explained by the fact that some parts of the equipment need several replacements during the year, due to high wear and tear. Like this, it's fine.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 17,557
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: replacement

    Without arguing that the prior version is at all incorrect, I find it a bit more natural to say "...need to be replaced several times..." rather than "...need several replacements..."

    {not a teacher}

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,079
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Without arguing that the prior version is at all incorrect, I find it a bit more natural to say "...need to be replaced several times..." rather than "...need several replacements..."

    {not a teacher}
    Hi Barb, you are absolutely right, but "some parts" may refer to parts that have several components, some of which may need to be replaced over a given period of time, so to say that "some parts need to be replaced several times." Is not the same as to say that, "some parts need several replacements (of parts)."

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 17,557
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: replacement

    That's true - but do you think the original poster mean that some parts have parts that need to be replaced, or that some parts need to be replaced? It's hard to tell.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 696
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    That's true - but do you think the original poster mean that some parts have parts that need to be replaced, or that some parts need to be replaced? It's hard to tell.
    I meant that some parts need to be replaced.

Similar Threads

  1. Reason for replacement of controller board
    By ben9108 in forum Letter Writing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Mar-2008, 03:32
  2. replacement for therefore, then etc
    By judieliu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Dec-2005, 15:35
  3. The
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 30-Nov-2004, 10:58
  4. Plural
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 31-Oct-2004, 12:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •