• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default culture

Dear teachers,

The more I learn English the more I become interested in the target culture. The following are two questions.

No.1 I noticed while watching a movie that at a dinner party, that is, the host and hostess invited their friends to dinner. To my surprise there were more than one plate, three plates I think, were piled together. It seemed to me the one on the top of the plates is smaller that the one at the bottom. Could you please explain what they were for? Is it because dish might fall onto the table so the biggest was put at the bottom to hold the dish? And I saw more than one knives and spoons. Could you please explain why more than one spoon and knife are needed?

No.2 We learned that a Christmas dinner would include a turkey. But I was told that some people would eat fish instead of turkey. Does it mean that turkey isn't a must for Christmas dinner or are there other reasons, say religion, behind it?

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: culture

Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

The more I learn English the more I become interested in the target culture. The following are two questions.

No.1 I noticed while watching a movie that at a dinner party, that is, the host and hostess invited their friends to dinner. To my surprise there were more than one plate, three plates I think, were piled together. It seemed to me the one on the top of the plates is smaller that the one at the bottom. Could you please explain what they were for? Is it because dish might fall onto the table so the biggest was put at the bottom to hold the dish? And I saw more than one knives and spoons. Could you please explain why more than one spoon and knife are needed?

No.2 We learned that a Christmas dinner would include a turkey. But I was told that some people would eat fish instead of turkey. Does it mean that turkey isn't a must for Christmas dinner or are there other reasons, say religion, behind it?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Turkey is standard food, but some don't eat it- some eat goose or something because they prefer it. However, the vast majority in the UK eat turkey.

The knives and forks are for the different courses- you might have soup, fish and then a main course, so you'd need a spoon, fish knife and fork, and an ordinary knife and fork.

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

:)

Dear tdol,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Could you please explain what the plates which are put one on the other are for ? Why do you need several plate of different sizes?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you very much.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Turkey is standard food, but some don't eat it- some eat goose or something because they prefer it. However, the vast majority in the UK eat turkey.

The knives and forks are for the different courses- you might have soup, fish and then a main course, so you'd need a spoon, fish knife and fork, and an ordinary knife and fork.