• Post Thanks / Like

What was wrong or What wrong was? Please let me sleep!

Hi there,

I have a big doubt and if I want to sleep tonigh I have to solve that. Could anyone help me?

I am writing this mail:

Suddenly everything worked fine. I checked out the ticket to see what was wrong and I got the message you have already read. Perhaps them could help you to discover what was the problem. BTW, if you get a chance to discover that please let me know.

Is the part highlighted correct? Or the correct way is "what wrong was" and "what the problem was". Is the rest of the text correct?

Many, many thanks!

Ovos

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: What was wrong or What wrong was? Please let me sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by ovos View Post
    Hi there,

I have a big doubt and if I want to sleep tonigh I have to solve that. Could anyone help me?

I am writing this mail:

Suddenly everything worked fine. I checked out the ticket to see what was wrong and I got the message you have already read. They might help you to find out what the problem was. BTW, if you get it please let me know.

Is the part highlighted correct? Or the correct way is "what wrong was" and "what the problem was". Is the rest of the text correct?

Many, many thanks!

Ovos
    I am not a teacher, but I have rephrased it in a way I like better.
    Sleep tight!

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ovos View Post
    Hi there,

I am writing this mail:

Suddenly everything worked fine. I checked out the ticket to see what was wrong and I got the message you have already read. Perhaps them could help you to discover what was the problem. BTW, if you get a chance to discover that please let me know.

Many, many thanks!

Ovos
    'What was wrong' is correct.
    'What the problem was' - just to be on the safe side.

• Post Thanks / Like

Suddenly everything worked fine. I checked out the ticket to see what was wrong and I got the message you have already read. Perhaps they can help you to discover what the problem is (using "is" if the problem is still ongoing). BTW, if you find out what went wrong, please let me know.

I'm not a teacher.

It's hard to make this message sound clear without knowing exactly what it's about, but I think I've cleared up a few grammatical problems.

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi, colloquium.

I'd like to ask you, why do you choose the present tense ("what the problem is"), when the problem seems already solved ("Suddenly, everything worked fine").

Thank you mate.

*Edit* Sorry mate, I hadn't read it carefully and I missed this part: (using "is" if the problem is still ongoing)

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    Hi, colloquium.

I'd like to ask you, why do you choose the present tense ("what the problem is"), when the problem seems already solved ("Suddenly, everything worked fine").

Thank you mate.

*Edit* Sorry mate, I hadn't read it carefully and I missed this part: (using "is" if the problem is still ongoing)
    Yes, it's a bit confusing.

It seems as though she/he's sorted out the ticket problem - yet the person she/he's contacting hasn't. I inferred that from the last sentence which asks the recipient to confirm when the problem is eventually solved.

That's my guess anyway!
    Last edited by colloquium; 04-Jun-2008 at 22:56.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guy... the problem has been solved so what the problem was should be the best way to write that.

Thanks again!

Ovos

P.S: now I can sleep tight!