• English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Podcasting

Hi,

I'm preparing a workshop for teachers on podcasting. Does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share, or possibly comments or queries on this issue? My own podcast is Academic Word of the Day if anyone would like to check this out. I see a range of possible uses for podcasts, in particular as a means to extend contact and input for students beyond the classroom and the course.

Martin McMorrow
    Auckland, NZ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Podcasting

I use Podomatic sites to post mp3 files. Here are two of my sites. The first one is for high-intermediate/advanced vocational office training class. The second one is exercises I wrote to accompany Password 1, a high beginning reading/vocabulary text. I use Audacity software to make my recordings. It's very easy, and the quality is excellent.

Roland Trego's Podcast
    www.password1, podomatic.com

To get students to listen to the sites, the day before a written quiz or test, I post an audio-only version of the test on the site. Once I started do this regularly, students really started tuning in.

Also, when I provide the written transcript of an exercise, I leave out the targeted vocabulary words so students have to listen more actively. If the transcript gives them everything, there's no strong motivation to listen.

martin mcmorrow is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply, Roland - and very nice materials on your podomatic site!

Martin

martinmcmorrow.podomatic.com
    academicenglishgenerator.com

Seafarer is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a podcasting project with my students: I had them create dialogues in certain standard situations (I teach ESP - Maritime English) and produce podcasts which were then sent on to another team of students for comment writing.
    Everyone had a lot of fun- including me. They used different voices, accents and additional noises, and we had a very enjoyable workshop discussing the outcomes.
    I had offered my recording device, but most of the students used their own mp3-players or notebooks.
    Quite an entertaining teaching method.

Seafarer

Post Thanks / Like

you may check this one:

Educator's tips for podcasts and podcasting

:)